Starting a Pipe Repair and Pipe Making Business.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pipemagick

Lurker
Sep 24, 2019
What all equipment would you need to start a pipe repair and pipe making business. Assuming you are are starting from scratch with nothing. What machines and tools would you need? This is halfway hypothetical. I know this is a question with a long response needed. If anyone could point me to a past post about this or a website with this kind of information it would be very appreciated.

piffyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2015
I hope you'll pardon, but this is just an odd question. One would assume that anyone starting a business to both make and repair pipes would already know how to do so and anyone that knowing how to make and repair pipes would already know what they need.

Neither is the type of business where you can just stock a shop with equipment, hang an "open for business" sign out front and expect the masses to beat a path to your door. Most of the guys start in the trenches and work their way up as they gain experience, skills and reputation.

If you need an idea of what's required for a repair shop, however, this is a good overview...

For pipe making, didimauw's suggestion is probably your best bet.

Pipemagick

Lurker
Sep 24, 2019
I hope you'll pardon, but this is just an odd question. One would assume that anyone starting a business to both make and repair pipes would already know how to do so and anyone that knowing how to make and repair pipes would already know what they need.

Neither is the type of business where you can just stock a shop with equipment, hang an "open for business" sign out front and expect the masses to beat a path to your door. Most of the guys start in the trenches and work their way up as they gain experience, skills and reputation.

If you need an idea of what's required for a repair shop, however, this is a good overview...

For pipe making, didimauw's suggestion is probably your best bet.
Hence where is says hypothetical. It's something I'm interested in for the future

Pipemagick

Lurker
Sep 24, 2019
Yeah that's what I figured I would do for sure. I have an opportunity to get things for a business. I may not do anything but I'm daydreaming I guess you could say. Its is my main interest. I am a pipe smoker. I am active on Facebook groups and i do YTPC videos. I cant think of anything I would like to do more. I also realize I'm unskilled and completely new.
Hypothetically, I would Start with a bunch of estate pipes, anD go from there.

Are you a pipe smoker?

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
One would assume that anyone starting a business to both make and repair pipes would already know how to do so and anyone that knowing how to make and repair pipes would already know what they need.
Not necessarily. When I started my latest business I didn't know: I started by asking around.

@Pipemagick: you might find this resource quite useful: PIMO's Guide to Pipecrafting at Home. It tells you what you need and how to do it, even how to improvise a lathe from blocks of wood and a power drill. Vermont Freehand also sells supplies for pipe making.

buzkirk

Apr 14, 2009
Humboldt Tn.
Not a easy field to break into, I speak from a little experience. I have been making pipes for 2.5 years and replacing stems for some of the older fellows chewed up stems. It requires a lot of time and work for very little money.
I started with a 1940 Atlas metal lathe ( $450) , Nova G3 chuck and pen jaws ($80), plus having to clean and refurbish the lathe , Bearings and belts. I had a Craftsman Band saw (6 blades @ $36), a Craftsman Drill press and bought the Harbor freight 2" belt sander($59). Then you will need wood rasps and good files, loads of sand paper, micro mesh kit. A 1725 rpm electric motor for the Beal Buffing kit ($89).
That is just the basics off the top of my head, then you have to make pipes people will actually want to buy.
Then there is material cost $11.00 for briar blocks, grade three, rods are $5.50 ea.
As a new carver, you can expect to get little money for the first couple dozen, just chalk it up to experience.
Pipemakersforum.com , Facebook Artisan pipes group and Pipemakers group are a good place to start, to learn about the field.
Wish you all the best, Tom Allen ( T.A. Pipes)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That is an admirably grounded account of getting started. This is for people who already have a source of income, retirement or a day job, mostly. I have considerable reverence for pipe carvers, as I do for blenders. These are the folks who keep the world of pipes and tobacco vital.

Reactions: Bengel

Pipemagick

Lurker
Sep 24, 2019
Not necessarily. When I started my latest business I didn't know: I started by asking around.

@Pipemagick: you might find this resource quite useful: PIMO's Guide to Pipecrafting at Home. It tells you what you need and how to do it, even how to improvise a lathe from blocks of wood and a power drill. Vermont Freehand also sells supplies for pipe making.
It would be litterly impossible to do anything in life if you had to know everything about it before you ever started.
Thanks for just jumping to the conclusion form zero information I'm an idiot.
I believe I do know everything that i would need. However since the knowledge of the universe is not available to be downloaded directly to my brain. I figured it would be wise to ask people that know more than i do... you know... also known as how you learn things.
I think this might post below the response to the person I am talking to. How dare I be on a forum and not already know everything possible about tham.

• Sad
Reactions: anotherbob

Pipemagick

Lurker
Sep 24, 2019
It would be litterly impossible to do anything in life if you had to know everything about it before you ever started.
I believe I do know everything that i would need. However since the knowledge of the universe is not available to be downloaded directly to my brain. I figured it would be wise to ask people that know more than i do... you know... also known as how you learn things.
I think this might post below the response to the person I am talking to. How dare I be on a forum and not already know everything possible about tham.
To the person that responded nicely thank you. I will look into that. I did some googling earlier and I guess I just was not searching good enough terms, i was not finding much. I thought asking here would be a good place to check in at.

Pipemagick

Lurker
Sep 24, 2019
Not a easy field to break into, I speak from a little experience. I have been making pipes for 2.5 years and replacing stems for some of the older fellows chewed up stems. It requires a lot of time and work for very little money.
I started with a 1940 Atlas metal lathe ( $450) , Nova G3 chuck and pen jaws ($80), plus having to clean and refurbish the lathe , Bearings and belts. I had a Craftsman Band saw (6 blades @ $36), a Craftsman Drill press and bought the Harbor freight 2" belt sander($59). Then you will need wood rasps and good files, loads of sand paper, micro mesh kit. A 1725 rpm electric motor for the Beal Buffing kit ($89).
That is just the basics off the top of my head, then you have to make pipes people will actually want to buy.
Then there is material cost $11.00 for briar blocks, grade three, rods are $5.50 ea.
As a new carver, you can expect to get little money for the first couple dozen, just chalk it up to experience.
Pipemakersforum.com , Facebook Artisan pipes group and Pipemakers group are a good place to start, to learn about the field.
Wish you all the best, Tom Allen ( T.A. Pipes)
Awesome, thank you. Exactly what I was look for.

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019

The only person who insinuated someone was an idiot was you. ?

piffyr

Apr 24, 2015
Woah there, hoss! I don't think anyone on this thread has either said or implied that you are an idiot. However, in your own words...
Assuming you are are starting from scratch with nothing.
I also realize I'm unskilled and completely new.
... you've indicated that you have no experience in either craft. So, the idea of turning it into a business is miles away at this point.

Had you said instead, "I want to learn how to make pipes. Where do I start?" or "I want to learn how to repair pipes. Where do I start?" my own response would have been different.

Reactions: jojoc

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
I say hell yeah to pipe makers forum, and hell yeah to thick skin. If you’re willing to invest the time and money, then get to it. And be ready for, and welcome the sharp knives - they are the ones that cut away the nonsense and point you down the right path.

nunnster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 17, 2019
I've often thought about doing this myself. The way I am going about it this far is by doing retortions of old beat up estates. I've got a dozen or so pipes restored (for my own use at this point). I feel like before I ever try my hand at crafting a pipe is understanding what makes a good pipe a good pipe. And i know a good pipe, but I still havent figured out everything that makes it good. My next major thing I want to learn is how to craft are replacement stems. I got a good handle on restoring bowls at this point....but I think doing so would cost more money in tools than I have expendable at this point. But its definitely on the list. Sometimes you just gotta learn as you do. Atleast that's how I do it.

Reactions: jpberg

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Nothing tried, nothing gained. You've got to start somewhere. So, carpe diem and good luck. Rome wasn't built in a day. The best time to plant a tree is today.

Status
Not open for further replies.