PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
We had a young woman come into the shop yesterday looking to buy a "lady pipe". She had the usual backstory that is so often heard, she smoked some CB in a Dr. G when she was in college and would like to get back into it for the relaxation aspect of the hobby. I showed her several pipes in many price points and she settled on a nicely done Italian mini churchwarden. We got her some 1-Q and the tools and cleaners that she will need and extended an open invitation to call or come back if she needs any help or advice. I got to converse with her for a while and explained that there are many female pipe and cigar enthusiasts as well as female pipe makers. She appears to be very dedicated to adopting the hobby and I hope to see her return in the near future. All in all it's a positive sign for the pipe community.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
So many one-liners to be had from the title ... :rofl:
Seriously though ... that's really cool!
Out of curiosity, do you ever mention this site to customers?

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Cobguy, I do regularly mention the site and can tell you that several people have mentioned that they lurk on here and I imagine a few are members. I suppose I did leave the door open for a zinger or two with my thread title, lol. The young women was very nice and very determined to do things right and it was obvious that she's done some research and I let her in on our little secret here. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see an intro from her very soon.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Papipeguy wrote:
Neat. This could be an opportunity for Coach and Michael Kors.
Blowin' smoke since 1970.
Lol, if that ever happens we had better check around because chances are that Hell has frozen over.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Who are some of the female pipe makers?
Scottie Piersal (yes, that's her real name) was just interviewed last week on the PM Podcast. She's a very talented carver and has a good following starting to commission work from her. The Pipemakers forum probably has a few more.

Jan 8, 2013
There have been several very influential female pipemakers over time:
Anne Julie, who I believe helped Tom Eltang learn his craft

Nana Ivarsson, daughter of Lars, granddaughter of Sixten
These two come to mind right away.

im2for1

Lurker
Jul 20, 2014
I always tell any female asking about "lady pipes" that there is no such thing! And I encourage you guys to say the same thing to a woman asking your advice. One should select a pipe that appeals to them not worry about if it looks feminine or not. (Most) pipes that are suggested as a "lady" pipe are small bowled and can be difficult for a newbie to pack correctly and not smoke hot.
And don't forget about Manduela !
Liz

Mar 31, 2014
I have never seen a "lady pipe" before. A gentleman did try to sell me what he claimed to be a "feminine" pipe, once. It just had really nice grain...and cost $200 :roll:
Though, when I do pass my pipe to another woman, I have noticed that they usually hold it with their fingertips rather than grasping it with more of their fingers or hand. I guess that can look feminine.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
My wife smokes with me sometimes. Click on my signature image and you'll get a larger pic. She's on the far right. She has a yello bole miniature bulldog and a horse carved pipe. She even like Latakia as much as I. She will puff and say "Mmmm smooth and no bite" Why is it she always knows to grab my pipe just when its at its prime cook? Runs thru the best spot and hands it back! Grrrrr. :roll:

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I always tell any female asking about "lady pipes" that there is no such thing! And I encourage you guys to say the same thing to a woman asking your advice. One should select a pipe that appeals to them not worry about if it looks feminine or not. (Most) pipes that are suggested as a "lady" pipe are small bowled and can be difficult for a newbie to pack correctly and not smoke hot.
And don't forget about Manduela !
Liz
Thanks Liz and I did explain that there really aren't any women's pipes and took the time to show her what to look for as far as drillng, bowl size, etc. she picked out a nice mini-warden that passed a cleaner and had nice lines. She should enjoy it. I was kind of surprised that I didn't notice this particular pipe myself because I probably would have snagged it. Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.