PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bungee

Can't Leave
Oct 31, 2015
After a lot of reading and asking around I decided to take the plunge and to start cellaring about a month ago.
This is how it looks now (a bit empty) but I've started to buy two for the cellar every time I get something for me. I probably have 6 pounds or something close to that.
Right now it feels a bit like stockpiling for winter... I'll let you know if I feel it payed off in a couple of years from now.
Any advise on ways to improve storage and the whole cellaring experience would be very welcome.
Cheers,
J
Bodega_zpsfzffmxmq.jpg

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Any advise on ways to improve storage and the whole cellaring experience would be very welcome.

Periodically check tins to make sure the seal is still there, try to keep the tobacco at a constant temperature and not cold. I just use cardboard boxes and leave the stuff out that I'm smoking.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
That's one hell of a start. When I place an order, I always try to pick up two tins of something new. One to try and one to cellar. If it's something I really like, I'll try to add a few more on the next order. I'm starting to mass a decent size cellar but having a large variety to choose from keeps things interesting.
Tips for the cellar?
If I have several jars of the same blend, I use a highlighter to mark the label on the one I'm smoking out of. When that jar is finished, it gets removed. Then the next jar to be smoked out of gets the highlighter.
In a few months don't worry when you start hearing pops and pings coming from the cellar. It's just aging process doing it's thing.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
It is really interesting how seeing a new cellar (big or small, doesn't matter), tobacco, pipe, tamper makes us happy all the time. Good start.

gogosamgo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
That's awesome! I like your strategy of buying two tins for the cellar when you buy other blends for yourself.

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
That's a fine start! Also a good reminder that it's probably time to bolster my cellar as well.

bungee

Can't Leave
Oct 31, 2015
Thank you for your comments guys!
Dave G, great tips! I will certainly try to keep it interesting through variety. Thank you!
Cheers,
J

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I've started to buy two for the cellar every time I get something for me.
That's the way I started. Because of that,I've got lots of 5-10 year old tins of some of my favorite Virginias.
You might want to think about smaller jars. Once you open one of those quart jars to take some out, you stop the aging process. I use pints or half-pints. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.