PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Just about everyone has at least one Stanwell pipe in thier collection .Well at least the lucky ones . What most people do not know is Sixten designed many of the shapes . So polish up on your German skills and follow the link . Enjoy http://www.stanwell-tabak-pfeife.de/f5-STANWELL-TOP-THEMA.html

phq193

Lurker
Jun 16, 2019
Hello. I will soon acquire a Stanwell with a gold coloured plaque inscribed "Ringsted Piber". I have never seen this before. Can anyone shed light on this Stanwell pipe? I know that the Danish Stanwell was located near Ringsted Demark
Thanks

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yes! The little squashed tomato pot (it's called a pot by Stanwell, and I think it is numbered 86) is one of Sixten's designs. I bought mine for $49.99 from PC, and during sales they've sold them for less. Mine is brushed brown, slightly bent. I really like that this exalted pipe designer took it upon himself to design pipes for the general public. These come under the rubric of industrial design, doing a design for mass production. Other tyros in the design field, not necessarily pipes, have taken on these kinds of high-concept designs for mass use. Milton Glazer, the New York City designer, is a prime example and philosopher on the subject, just a brilliant guy. MOMA, the Museum of Modern Art in NYC often focuses on high prestige design for consumer products, has exhibits on such products, and specializes in them in their museum store. So Sixten was on top of this trend in sharing exalted design with a wider public, and good for him. Incidentally, I think the Stanwell's produced in Italy these days have earned an equality with the previous production in Denmark. They are fine quality pipes at moderate prices.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Wow! An 8 year necro.
Phq: Photos would be nice!
Once your photos are on a photo hosting site (such as Imgur.com; Postimage; Dropbox, etc. Photobucket), or on virtually any site, including this site's album such as eBay; Amazon Pinterest; Facebook; an online Pipe retailer; you-name-it, select the full sized image, then Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (Windows) on the image itself, then choose "copy image location" or similar words. Now paste that URL (the full web address, which should end in .jpg or .png) into the IMG box in the reply window of the thread you're posting to.
The site's album is also a good choice for displaying photos, and the same method works for obtaining the image's URL for copying into the IMG box.
There are other good illustrations and steps on how to post photos under "Latest Discussions" in different formats:

LINK to that thread

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sorry no photos; even if I were photo adept, my operating system is down. However, the Sixten pot is easy to spot. Just go to pipesandcigars pipes, go to Stanwells brushed brown or black; I believe it is the only "pot shape" they carry in these series. Just remember, it's not cylindrical, more a flattened Dublin shape.

004-001-1706.jpg

Here is a high quality 86 picture. It saddens me to see the current state of Stanwell. It isnt what it used to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.