PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aro222

Can't Leave
Mar 17, 2018
Toronto Ontario, Canada
Hey guys, most of my pipes are Italian ( Savinelli and Castello) however I’ve recently come across this Stanwell which is scratching me where I itch. Just was wondering if I could get some info on these. Are they good smokers ? Would you recommend them ? This particular one is made in Denmark and has a 9 mm filter. Cost is comparable to a lower end sav.

Any info would be great. Thanks

6dbdde21-528e-4de4-a413-5e352b584956-600x584.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I own one of those, Italian made, brushed finish, original design by Sixten Iversson. I find it a good serviceable pipe. You can get the brushed finish version from PC for about $50, sometimes less on sale. A snazzier finish will cost more, but not a great deal more. If you like the look, I think you'd be satisfied. I buy them as non-filter pipes, but choose what you like best.

Jul 12, 2011
I have several Stanwell new and old designs - they have all smoked without issues and my Golden Danish (45) has earned a "top spot" in my rotation

techie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2018
I also have several Stanwells and enjoy them. I tried them with and without the filter and prefer no filter.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
They are every bit as good as Savinelli’s if not better in my opinion. I like to smoke them without filters and no adapters, you just need to clean out the filter chamber with a q-tip from time to time. I own a lot of the modern day Stanwell’s and I have yet to find a bad smoker.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Do I have to use the filter or can I smoke it without, like my sav’s ?

You don't have to use the filter. Though balsa filters would serve you well. You can use an adapter if you want to smoke filter-less; that's how I smoke my Vauen, which is 9mm too.
You could smoke it without filter or adapter, for a 'reverse calabash' effect. The one time I tried this I suffered horrible tongue bite, right from the charring light. So pace yourself.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
All my Stanwells are outstanding smokers and I find myself reaching for them over my Savinellis lately. And I do frequently use the 9mm filters as I smoke up to a dozen bowls a day. Really helps with preventing a sore tongue, especially since I tend to overpuff sometimes.
That's a great looking pipe. Now you have me looking!

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
The Stanwell 95 is a great shape in the hand; both Danish and Italian versions are good pipes. (The 95s in my collection make terrific drinking pipes!)
If you like an open draw, just throw away the filter and smoke as is.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Drinking pipes! That's new. So, what do you drink from it? Is it dedicated to just one beverage or do you mix it up a little?

To the OP: I have several Stanwells and they are good smokers, all of them.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
aro222, the Vauen adaptor is the same length as a Dr Perl Jr filter. If the Stanwell takes those filters without a problem, then the adapter will work. Since those filters are standard in Europe, I'd say you'd have no problems.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Every Stanwell I've owned has been a good, solid smoker, and I like many of their shapes. Haven't noticed a difference at all between the Danish and Italian ones. Never had one with a filter, though.

alsatmem

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2019
I have over a dozen Stanwells, including that exact pipe, and all are excellent smokers! Unbeatable, especially with their price points. Highly recommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.