PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aro222

Can't Leave
Mar 17, 2018
Toronto Ontario, Canada
Well i pulled the trigger and bought that bad boy. Now just waiting for the post man.

Also ordered some PPSR to break her in. Thanks for all the feedback gentleman, i'll keep you posted after the 1st smoke.

Cheers.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Good choice aro222. Looking forward to hearing about it. And yes, thanks to you, I’m looking to add another Stanwell to the stable!
Really liking that 95 shape. Really surprised I haven’t seen it yet.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
My opinion doesn't mean a whole lot, as I don't own many expensive pipes, but I love my Stanwell. I have a Featherweight 240 and it smokes like a dream. Literally.

Sep 18, 2015
I’ve got three Stanwell’s and they all smoke great, two are filter pipes that I smoke without a filter or adapter. I don’t think I’ve ever heard anything negative about the brand.

wulfheard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 18, 2018
New Jersey
I have several Stanwell pipes, all but one are unfiltered and all but one go back to the early 1980s. Off the top of my head, I cannot think of a single negative thing to say about them.

Aug 14, 2012
I have had 6-8 of them over the years. Only one was a good smoker. It was Danish made with a gold crown. Their pipes from Italy are poor.

aro222

Can't Leave
Mar 17, 2018
Toronto Ontario, Canada
I finally received my Stanwell in the mail and i must say it is quite the pipe. Larger than i expected but very well made and the fit and finish is very nice. So far this has the biggest stem out of all my pipes and looks and feels very manly and robust. When i first got my Savinelli #320 KS i thought it was big, but this thing is much more beefier.

I really like it. Going to enjoy the first smoke later today with some SPC Plum Pudding Special Reserve and i'll keep you all posted. So far i'm glad i added this one to the stable. Cheers

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When Stanwells were made in Denmark and cost considerably more, they were held in higher esteem, although the current Italian-made pipes are fine quality. I think it's human psychology. There's an apocryphal story about an art gallery dealer who was told his prices were too low, so people thought the art wasn't any good. He doubled the price on everything and sales picked way up. That's often true.

aro222

Can't Leave
Mar 17, 2018
Toronto Ontario, Canada
7e98fb95-f2a8-4382-b2eb-2307b8b88316-600x546.jpg

tavol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2018
When Stanwells were made in Denmark and cost considerably more, they were held in higher esteem, although the current Italian-made pipes are fine quality. I think it's human psychology. There's an apocryphal story about an art gallery dealer who was told his prices were too low, so people thought the art wasn't any good. He doubled the price on everything and sales picked way up. That's often true.
Reminds me of a friend who is a painter and decorator and was hit hard by the financial crash of '08, he just couldn't get any work even after cutting prices. After taking advice from his accountant he increased his prices by 40% and almost overnight he was booked solid.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Congrats on Your Stanwell Danske Club?''Or Is this Silke Brun, either way, I have had and still have few Stanwells both from Danish manufacturing and Italian alike, And Tell You what, I have never had any problems with this Brand name, which to me seems like a pretty weird phenomenon in our days

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
Nice looking pipe aro222. I just got through a major case of TAD. That pipe and the fact that (for some unknown reason) I don’t own a Stanwell yet, has me fighting off PAD :)

oldbaccy

Might Stick Around
Mar 31, 2019
Look at the girth on that bowl, what a fatty. I bet she stays nice and cool in the hand even if smoked hard.

Enjoy that beauty.

aro222

Can't Leave
Mar 17, 2018
Toronto Ontario, Canada
So i've had a couple smokes in the new Stanwell and i must say its a great pipe. It really feels good in the hand and it smokes wonderful. At first i was a little worried about the rather large stem, but its actually quite comfortable and hefty. I have been really watching my cadence to break her in a bit, but the walls on the bowl are so thick, i think even if i pulled on this like a truck it would remain just as cool. All things considered its a great pipe for the price and i'm really happy with it. I feel like this one will become one of my work horses. i'm glad i took everybody's advice and pulled the trigger on this one. Thanks again

Cheers
Oh also my first couple of bowls where SPC Plum Pudding SR, i'm not gonna attempt to review this, just want to say WOW ! I've already placed an order for a few more tins for the cellar. That is some great stuff...

tulsagentleman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2019
Being of modest means, I seldom buy new pipes but look carefully for estate pipes mostly on eBay. More recently I have gone after older Stanwell pipes based mainly n the comments by people on the forum. I am pleased to say that I have never smoked a Stanwell that was not excellent. I would say that their reputation is deserved.

Status
Not open for further replies.