PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
Does anyone have a recommendation for a pipe stand (can be for 1, 2 or 3 pipes) that can properly accommodate a Castello greatline or Dunhill group 6 pipes. For example, would the Savinelli ceramic (also known as the Seggiolina) pipe stand work?

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
This is a very specific question. Thankfully, one I have experience with. The short answer is, not really. The long answer is, not really. But somewhere in between lies the truth. I have many large Castello pipes and also struggle with how to store and/or present them. Over the years it has become clear that they simply don't fit in standard pipe racks.
What are you interested in doing? Presenting them (i.e. artsy) or just storing them (i.e. practical)? I have ideas and pictures for both, along with tips and tricks.
One thing for sure, the pipe pillows work great for large pipes. You can buy sets of 2 pillows together and put 2 or 3 together and it makes a decent "rack".

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
There is a eBay vendor that sells a 6 pipe rack for large and XL pipes for $39. I'm sure it has a size limitation as well but I have two and they work well.

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
Thanks for the quick response. I have a six-pipe circular wooden rack with large spoon-shaped holders that holds large pipes adequately for storage. Unfortunately, my Dunhill 6105 and Castello greatline have such large and heavy stummels that they roll to the side. This is satisfactory for storage but is not very elegant for display. I was thinking of getting the Savinelli ceramic one-pipe stand—the one with the wire holder on top of a ceramic base. @npod, I'd be very grateful for any tips and pics you have.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Castello Greatline pipes are big for sure. I have found that the "scoop" based racks (scooped out bottom) don't work well. The Savenelli one pipe ceramic holders definitely will not work for your pipes of interest (but I do have one and love it for my small to medium sized pipes). For what you are looking for I think a pipe pillow will be best. You don't want those big pipes sliding off and getting scratched. Trust me, I know from experience.
This is what I used for a few years https://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/pipe%20accessories/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=114623.

001-069-0102.jpg

Here is a shot of my Castello Magnum Flame bent in its pillow. Works great.

Xo4NCsW.jpg

The Savenelli ceramic (Goccia) stands are super cool! But not good for big pipes.

Ne7pW8e.jpg

Of course, nothing beats a custom fitted Castello box with fitted foam for the Great Line pipes!

1x620eR.jpg

If you want to go Full-Pimp, you can invest in magnetic stands. They actually hold the big magnum pipes very well. Example, Neal Yarm racks. I have never/ever had a big pipe fall or slip from the magnets.

Reactions: dunnyboy

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
Phenomenally helpful. I might go with a magnetic stand, simply because they're more attractive. Your Castellos are gorgeous BTW! I just indulged myself in a 1982 Castello great line. It's a stunning pipe but I'm sure it smokes no better than a nice sea rock. I'm almost afraid to smoke it but I'm too old to treat it as an investment instead of enjoying it. Thanks again npod.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I'm almost afraid to smoke it but I'm too old to treat it as an investment instead of enjoying it.

Please smoke the heck out of it. These big dogs come alive when used and smoked frequently.
Also, sounds like presentation is important as mentioned above. In that case, you can look at the Abe Herbaugh magnetic stands, or Neal Yarm, or any others you might find. I have experience with both and mentioned and can vouch for them.
Here are the Abe Herbaugh stands https://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/pipe%20accessories/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=246083:

001-069-0460.jpg

Here is a Neal Yarm single magnetic rack with a large Castello bent pipe.

KunJTWw.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There are pillows, leather loops, and wooden single pipe stands and others that will work, but you have to take the pipe(s) along and try them to get them fitted. I find ceramic bowls (I like potters' work) can do a good job. You can put selected stones or other non-flammable objects in the bottom to prop and steady, and these can be selected to hold two or three pipes, but this is for pre-packed pipes, etc., not for display. I think you want to show off your beauties.

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
Just to let you helpful gentlemen know what I ended up doing: I took advantage of the 15% IPSD discount at TP and bought this Neal Yarm magnetic stand, along with two tins of Davidoff english blends to get free shipping.
Thanks for your help. BTW, I'm smoking the heck out of the new Castello greatline.

Status
Not open for further replies.