PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
St Bruno is a medium bodied, medium strength, medium quality Va-Bur with a small bit of casing which presents as a touch of sweetness rather than any particular flavour. It had been years since I had smoked it, so I had to have some. I remember it as being a little stronger and a little less sweet, but that could be the result of time and comparison to the tobaccos I am currently smoking. There is nothing bad about St Bruno and I will certainly finish the pouch, but there are too many better Va-burs at a better price point to repeat the purchase.

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
Had my first flake of St. Bruno last night and it would be my new favorite if it wasn't for the price. Found it to be a full bodied, medium strength tobacco with slight citrus notes. - I've read about these citrus notes in reviews of other tobaccos but smoking St. Bruno was the first time I actually tasted them.

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
Take some Irish flake and rub it out, then mix it half and half with some Amphora Brown and you come pretty close to the same taste at almost half the price.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"It's a Brtish OTC, after all."
Guyrox that statement, if taken as read in context is so far from the truth. There are several OTC blends available here that are stellar smokes and that is precisely why they are now regular OTC blends, because they are the most popular with smokers. No self respecting retailer is going to maintain stocks of tobacco that are poor sellers are they?
Why folks demonize OTC blends as being somehow inferior is beyond me :crazy:
Regards,
Jay.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Why folks demonize OTC blends as being somehow inferior is beyond me :crazy:
American OTC blends tend to be mild and sometimes bland and generally are made from medium quality tobaccos. They're not like the British stuff, which has character. They tend to be something you can smoke all day and not be aware of it. At their worst, American OTC blends taste like cereal, but at their best American OTC blends are a congenial undemanding smoke.
I love St Bruno and have paid more for it, running the blockade, than $16. So I don't mind the price squeeze. I haven't found anything like it. I get a lot more flavors out of St Bruno than I'm reading in the above descriptions, like camphor and cider vinegar and mustard. It's both savory and mildly sweet, with quality tobaccos underneath. When smoked extremely slowly St Bruno reveals a host of different flavors. My main gripe with the current product is that it tastes like the topping has been reduced from earlier versions. Before, I preferred the RR. These days I prefer the flake.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I love me some St. Bruno, RR and flake, it's easily one of my favorite tobaccos and I also get more out of it than you describe.

I don't care for the price point either, but what are you gonna do, at least its available here in the US again.

I also love ODF, its much cheaper, its similar and its available in bulk.

I smoke the ODF to scratch the St. Bruno itch occasionally and to stretch my supply of St. Bruno, but at the end of the day, there's only one St. Bruno.

If St. Bruno is to expensive for you, try some ODF, you might like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.