PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
I have had the pleasure to sample some 10 year old St. Bruno flake courtesy of our good friend clickklick. I was asked to report how my St. Bruno sample compares to Mac Baren Old Dark Fired, it being suggested that ODF may be the closest state-side readily available baccy to St. Bruno. After smoking some of both I will say that they are pretty similar, with the sample of St. Bruno that I had being a bit sweeter, perhaps from the 10 years on the Virginia, but the ODF having the same full flavor and Burley body and satisfaction, both with a nicely substantial but not overpowering nic level. The ODF rubbed out pretty much like the rubbed out St. Bruno, the color and texture being very close, although the ODF has more moisture and is fresher than my St. Bruno sample. From my limited experience with my St. Bruno sample I will say that ODF approximates smoking St. Bruno pretty nicely, and is a fine smoke in its own right. My curiosity for St. Bruno was realized by clickklick's kind gift, and I will say that my St. Bruno jones will be satisfied with Old Dark Fired, which is first rate, along with another Mac Baren fave, HH Vintage Syrian. I think Mac Baren is doing a great job of filling the shoes of bygone and scarce classics, and they stand brightly on their own merit regardless of any predicate. Check them out and enjoy!

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
I like St Bruno and was considering picking up a few packets to cellar.
I'm interested to know if the 10 year old St Bruno had lost all traces of the topping?

docspipe

Might Stick Around
Dec 12, 2014
Unfortunately, I've never had the pleasure of trying St Bruno. I've been smoking ODF from a tin that's just going on one year old (my 6th tin of it). It's dried out sufficiently (but not brittle)to pose no problems with lighting, staying lit, or other issues that moisture brings to the pipe. The tin note and pre-draw taste through the stem is that of a freshly opened box of yummy raisins - very delicious. As much as I enjoyed this when it was first released, it is just superb with some age and drying on it. I found it reminiscent of Irish Flake at first, but it is smoother than IrF in my opinion. Plus, the "newer" IrF is off...more Danish nose to the tin, less tar/leathery scent, not as strong or tasty for that matter. When I want the Irish Flake of old I smoke the Kolhasse Kopp Rattray rebranding of it under the name of Stirling Flake. That one is still stout. But for that sublime, oftentime elusive experience while puffing, you won't go wrong with ODF.

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
I have been smoking a fair whack of ODF lately and have to agree on Kane's points. What has struck me about ODF most though is the nice hot/sour vinegar note.
This evening after work I'm going to mix ODF with some Bosun Cut Plug, it seems to me that this mix could have a Condor potential.
Docspipe I tried the new Irish Flake and found it dreadful, so I must get round to trying Stirling Flake.

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
So there's another one I need to stock up on. I've got one tin and that's it, here comes another P&C order.. LOL Does anyone else think Clickklick is really Santa and he's just thinning out his cellar. :D

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
I'm interested to know if the 10 year old St Bruno had lost all traces of the topping?
I can't say, as I have not smoked fresh from the tin St. Bruno. I found the sample I had to be sweet, but the sweetness seems to be the Virginia. The ODF has this sweetness as well. With the St. Bruno I tried the sweetness was more pronounced in the first part of the bowl, and then the Burley seemed to come out more and it became more balanced with the Burley being more present as the bowl was smoked. With the ODF the Burley seems to be present from the start, but again the ODF I am smoking is not aged. I can imagine that the Virginia may improve in the ODF with age. Lovely stuff.

Perhaps Santa, I mean clickklick, can speak to the question of topping and aging with St. Bruno.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
After aging the topping is there but very muted, the sweetness of aging really shines through over all. But even new, I never found the topping to be strong.

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
Thanks clickklick, I'll put a few pouches away and see what happens. Do you find it ages well enough in those little foil covered plastic trays or is it worth jarring them up?

Status
Not open for further replies.