PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blakjakshalak

Lurker
Jan 7, 2011
Hey, everyone! New member here.
It's my pleasure to announce we're forming a pipe club in St. Auggy (Oldest City Pipe Society).
We plan to meet every 2nd Thursday each month, the first being Feb. 10th. Currently, we are a group of 6 but welcome all ages to join us in becoming "charter members".
I've created a facebook page for now until we figure out and discuss which direction we collectively want this to go. Your welcome to visit the facebook page to gain useful info such as meeting places, events, etc.
· No memberships fees

· Enjoy Members Only perks at local tobacco shops and meeting spots

· Everyone is welcome

· Monthly raffle for pipes, tobacco, & accessories

· Each meeting, a lucky member’s name will be drawn treating them to a free meal that night

· Very first meeting: open to any and all suggestions. This is our first time forming a club and want this to become an enjoyable outing for years to come. The meeting itself will be very casual and short. Our goal is to enjoy as much of the night as possible getting to know one another and enjoy our pipes.

· Pretentious folks should look elsewhere. We don’t take ourselves too serious. Just looking for a fun, monthly outing with other like-minded pipe smokers.
Maybe the folks from NE FL won't mind the 25 minute drive South to combine our efforts...the more the merrier.
Will post Facebook link soon.

brazz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 16, 2009
Good Luck, I wish I had a club near me. Maybe this could be an inspiration to start a Rhode Island pipe smokers club,the only thing stopping me is time. I can't wait to retire someday just to enjoy my pipes more.

jeepraines

Lurker
Jan 20, 2011
Can't promise I will be there but I am planning on it. Slightly intimidating being such a small group. But, worse case scenario I will get to visit a B+M I have never been to.

blakjakshalak

Lurker
Jan 7, 2011
Jeep:
Don't feel intimidated. I believe we'll see a pretty good turn out, more than you see at the facebook page. I only posted the link yesterday and we're up to 6 members. I hope to have that doubled by meeting time.

seakayak

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2010
I'm a bit too far south for this new group, but wish you well in your new endeavor. We surely rise or fall together.

blakjakshalak

Lurker
Jan 7, 2011
Seakayak:
I'll still include you in the newsletter. You never know if you may happen to be in our area it would be our pleasure to have you!
PM me your email address

jaxz

Lurker
Apr 23, 2009
Where the heck was this group last year when I lived in Jacksonville. Sigh. Trying to get back there sometime...if I get a chance, I'll swing by.

blakjakshalak

Lurker
Jan 7, 2011
To update...
We have 15 members so far with 8 commits to our first meeting. Not too shabby with 2 weeks to go!
Again, if you're in or around the St. Augustine area, we implore you to join! The piping fraternity is a small one, as you know. Let's unite, enjoy, and grow our numbers!
Thanks for your time.
Oldest City Pipe Society

http://www.facebook.com/#!/home.php?sk=group_128611700537369

oldestcityps@groups.facebook.com

blakjakshalak

Lurker
Jan 7, 2011
Our very first meeting is tomorrow....very exciting!
We have 14 confirmed (that I know of) and have only did light flyer marketing at a few B&Ms and started a Facebookpage over the span of the month. The turn out has really been much more than anticipated. I'll attempt to post some photos early next week.
I'd like to thank all of you on this site, mostly for the motivation to start this club and great advice you all give. This is a great tool for what is such a small fraternity and I hope it continues to thrive, educate, and grow our numbers. This site is truly a plethora of knowledge from very experienced pipers that help out us greenhorns more than you may know.
Thanks Kevin, mods, and all members. Keep up the good work!

blakjakshalak

Lurker
Jan 7, 2011
Just wanted to bump this post....always on the lookout for new members!
We have an established club in St. Aug that meets monthly. About 1/2 of our meetings take place in Jax as well. We steadily have about 12 members at each meeting.
You can find our group on Facebook under "Oldest City Pipe Society". Just request an add and you'll be added in minutes.
We have a meeting the 31st of January. You'll see the event loaded with details on the page.
We always hold a high-end pipe raffle and high end tobacco samples raffle each meeting. There are no memberships dues but we do ask that members put a minimum of $5 towards the raffle each meeting. One five dollar ticket has 3 opportunities to win (1 for the pipe and two for the samples).
Feel free to PM any questions.
Highest regards,

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.