PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
There was a nice write up about the estate department at SP a little while ago, and it mentioned using hand sanitizer on blackened bowl rims.

Anyone have any experience with this? I'm guessing you use a little on a cloth and softly wipe away?

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Have been waiting for the right estates to pop on ebay to give it a shot. I've got two unnamed ones on the way I plan on testing it on.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I first heard about this hand sanitizer method after Adam Davidson had mentioned it to a buddy. He was told that it was a sanitizer that does not contain alcohol, but the article said something about gel hand sanitizer having just the right amount of alcohol. I asked Adam about it in May at the Chicago Show, but he couldn't remember the brand they used, which wasn't surprising given that it was at about 3 AM.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I might have said this before ... a forum member suggested using lemon juice, which works fine. But what I have found out is that spit does wonders, should you have no lemons in the fridge. Sanitizer ... I wouldn't let it touch a pipe.

Reactions: burleyboy

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've heard hand sanitizer works as much by friction as by any other cleansing powers, so maybe the abrasive in it cleans pipes, but perhaps can be overdone.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I've heard hand sanitizer works as much by friction as by any other cleansing powers, so maybe the abrasive in it cleans pipes, but perhaps can be overdone.
I'm virtually certain there are no abrasives in hand sanitizer. Abrasives would need to be rinsed off. Otherwise, your hands would be left powdery or even gritty. Hand sanitizers are designed to evaporate rapidly and leave hands germ-free without the use of water or towels.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm virtually certain there are no abrasives in hand sanitizer. Abrasives would need to be rinsed off. Otherwise, your hands would be left powdery or even gritty. Hand sanitizers are designed to evaporate rapidly and leave hands germ-free without the use of water or towels.
Agreed, even the gel sanitizer seemingly has no abrasives (and with sanitizer you aren't cleaning).
I read that part of the article with interest and will give it a try on the right pipe.
To this point, I use a worn piece of scotch brite and water.
Mike Glukler's method was to immerse the bowl top and soak in a few millimeters of distilled water for a short period, then rub off with a cloth.
The scotchbrite if used conservatively doesn't remove the stain.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
A worn piece of Scotch Brite is what I use to remove built up crud on rims. A small brass bristle brush works good on rusticated rims. Trick is to work the area gently and bear down on it.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I haven't used the scotchbrite method yet, but will probably try it out eventually.

I used micromesh pads and a toothbrush, along with warm water. I was just curious to see if some forum members have tried it out and what their results were.

(That means I will wait for Al to give it a try!)

Status
Not open for further replies.