Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I am glad we finally have the forums working here. We worked on this for 3 days to get the forums integrated with the rest of the site.
This week we are working in the background to get the user blogs and profiles in better shape. The user blogs may not work for the next couple of days while we make these changes for a better site going forward.
We are setting them up so the design matches the main site.
There are several blog settings that are important for a better reader experience and to make your life easier as a blogger. The way the site works prior to our changes is that you have to know what you are doing and be experienced with setting up things in the backend of Wordpress.
Once we are done this week, you will not have to worry about that. It will be done automatically. Here's what's being worked on.
a. I want all user blogs by default to have only the Pipes theme that we use for the main site with the same layout as a full post or static page - with the 2 sidebars on left and right. User will NOT be able to change theme.
b. Tag line - Get rid of "Just another ... weblog" from the tagline default.
c. Comment Blacklist - prefill with the comment blacklist contents from the main site. (In Settings, Discussion)
d. Banned Email Domains - prefill with the same from the main site. (In site options)
e. Privacy Setting, inside Settings, Privacy - Pre-check - I would like my blog to be visible to everyone, including search engines ... disable - do not allow Blogs to choose the other option - I would like to block search engines, but allow normal visitors.
f. Permalinks - set default to - /%category%/%postname% and do not allow blog users to change it.
g. Photo gallery plugin - have a photo gallery plugin for all blogs to use
4. Gravatars - I would like to have our own exclusive custom gravatars. Currently if the user doesn't upload a gravatar he gets one from gravatars.com by default.
I want to get rid of gravatar.com and have a database of our own. I will make several different gravatars that we will use.

buzkirk

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 14, 2009
Humboldt Tn.
Sounds COOL !
Can we add pics to the forums with imageshack.
Maybe have a thread dedicated to the pics of the actual pipe tobacco, with a review link to a personal review or a link to tobaccorewiews.com.
Tom

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Can we add pics to the forums with imageshack.
Most likely, yes. I have to work on that when we get the blog stuff described above sorted out. You will be able to do all that in a blog. Soon we will re-visit the forums functionality to give them more features and make them more user friendly.

Status
Not open for further replies.