PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Which one do you think is a replacement, and why?
(Doing a bit of a survey, here. Thanks for playing. 8) )
7DtWaQY.jpg

i4itiUB.jpg

E9guEUm.jpg

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Photo 2 the one on the left is the replacement. I say this because the tenon on the left looks to be too perfect - so lack of use. Of course, that could be the reason it isn't the replacement and the one on the right is a poor job of setting a tenon. :) Where the stem and shank meet the one on the right also looks a shade rounded so I am assuming it has been refurbed.
I am very interested in this kind of thread. Great post georged!

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Rules of the game...did you make one of them George? My answer would be the original stem, from top to bottom, on the right, on the left, on the right; or at least that one looks nicer.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I would guess the replacement stem is on our right in the bottom picture.
The wider opening and it just looks more comfortable to me.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Please disregard wear or lack of it on either specimen.
The sort of detective work I'm curious about concerns shapes, sizes, & etc. of features.
Also, something I forgot --- pipe in question is a 1940's patent piece.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I'll guess the small dot is the replacement. The large dot has a "waist" to it, ie. it tapers in from the tenon and widens back out towards the F/T. The larger dot was common on patent- era pipes.

Looks like the original(large dot) has had a tenon replacement sometime in its life too..........

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
What dmcmtk said. The slot on the bottom right is the one that looks right to my eye.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
1940's patent, small dot, also note the slightly greater distance from the dot to the stem edge. At least that's what I think. :wink:

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
In the first photo, the one on the right (small dot) is the one you made, George. The reason I know is because you just can't bring yourself to do substandard work and the stems you make are nicer than most originals. :wink:

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I think the small dot is the replacement; mainly because of the slot.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
OK, in addition to not describing what was to be compared properly in the first place and thereby confusing things (my apologies), I also did a lawyerly bit of verbal sleight-of-hand by asking which stem is A replacement, not THE replacement. :twisted:
They both are.
The too-large bright white dot, too narrow square slot, 70's-style button profile, and 70's-era thick bite zone (.168") collectively ground the pipe owner's gears so much that he had me make a period-correct one, even though the first replacement was intact and in good condition.
While not the first time I've been called on to replace a replacement, the popularity of the brand got me to wondering how many PipeWorld citizens who are not Dunhill enthusiasts cared about such details.
What did I learn? Do a better job of setting up such experiments/surveys in the future. :lol:
Again, thanks for playing. :D

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
They both are.
I kind of expected that was the case...notice how I prefaced my first response with a question. The answer would have given the game away! :nana:
Nice looking stem George.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Dammit. I know I get no points for this and feel free to call bullshit, but I was actually thinking they might both be replacements. The small-dot looked too new and the big-dot just looked wrong (big dot, bad slot). Fun stuff. Glad you posted this, George.
BTW, the big-dot stem looks like the tenon is separate and glued in (i.e. not cut from the rod). Am I right?

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
I, too, thought the larger dot stem looked suspicious but I'm not very familiar with 1940's era Dunhills to have said for certain. What I could tell for certain was which stem was made by George because his work is meticulously neat. The large dot stem was too "sloppy" to be made by George whether it was a poor replacement or the original. That's not to say it's a bad replacement because it isn't, IMHO.

ssavarimuthu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2016
The only difference that I find is the dot size, and honestly, I don't know what would necessarily signify which one was what! Both look great, though.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
BTW, the big-dot stem looks like the tenon is separate and glued in (i.e. not cut from the rod). Am I right?
No. It's just a trick of the light & a bit of tar or something. It's integral.

Status
Not open for further replies.