PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Me and the wife took the canoe out, and did some fishing today on the lake.
Screenshot-20190618-215203.png

Caught a couple small striped bass.
Screenshot-20190618-215431.png

And the most important picture today, was a true rareity. My wife never takes my picture when I'm smoking. So I have used that as a way to get out of pictures. Well she got this one of me today, and I didn't even know.
Screenshot-20190618-202434.png

I'm slightly proud. Haha

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
These days it's all catch and release.
Whaaa? Not on Bago, it's not. I've kept plenty of fish out of there, mostly walleye and perch (best eating freshwater fish there is, IMO). And then there's the sturgeon spear season - hundreds of fish taken every year on the Winnebago System. One guy got a seven footer this spring. Plenty of big muskies in there, too, and people keep those (no point in throwing them back usually). Or did you mean it's all catch and release for you personally?

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Bill, you is funny :)
Did, always great to get out on the water. I'll be on a 5 day fishing trip with the lads, starting tomorrow. The pipe smoking will be prominently featured.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Yes they are, sort of like crappie.
Never had a crappie, but good to know. We have northern pike here. Is it like that?
(best eating freshwater fish there is, IMO)
I'd have to disagree and throw wild pacific sockeye or king salmon in the ring. But i've never had walleye! Is it like Pike? We have those, they are ok (especially beer battered) but really boney. We have so many here that it is actually illegal in Alaska to release a live pike back into the water. Invasive little assholes. I like burbot better. Don't know if you have those though....

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
wild pacific sockeye or king salmon
Sure, but those swim in the ocean most their lives, don't they? I love me some ocean salmon, but the freshwater kings we catch (well, used to catch 5-10 years ago - they're pretty scarce now) out of Lake Michigan and out of the river during the run are barely fit for the smoker. Real pale, mealy flesh, and they cook up dry as a bone, even big, fat 3-footers.
Walleye is fantastic. I think of it as basically a big perch (I've heard that Canadians call them Pike Perch). Agreed, Northerns (pike) are gross, slimy snakes and not worth the trouble to fillet in my book. Some old Germans and Poles around here "pickle" them in vinegar - not terrible, but not really my bag. If I have to eat one, I grind up the flesh for curried fish balls or breaded cutlets. No burbot around here - I wish!
I just meant for me it's catch and release

Pshew, you almost had me checking the regs, Didi! Keep 'em or not, a sunny day in a canoe with a rod, a pipe, and good company - sounds like the definition of happiness to me. My very favorite kind of fishing is when I don't really give a damn if I catch anything and almost hope I don't.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
but those swim in the ocean most their lives, don't they?
They certainly do! I didn't realize by freshwater you meant landlocked, I was also thinking anadromous. My bad. If I have to pick landlocked then I'm going for Burbot for sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.