PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I didn't want to hijack the eBay retractions thread to ask these questions so here goes.
I've not had an active account on eBay for several years and it was registered on a now defunct email address. Is it possible to re-register under my new email and regain my old status?
I am getting the impression that things aren't the same as they were on eBay say in 2005 as it relates to sniping and retractions, etc. what do I need to learn to play it safe when bidding on pipes?
Is eBay even a reasonable venue to cheaply obtain grungy estate pipes to learn restoration skills or should I look at other on-line auctions?
I know I'm asking for a lot here and I'd appreciate some tips. If anyone feels more comfortable sending a pm to answer that's fine. I'm just a little apprehensive since I've been out of the eBay loop for so long. Craigslist used to be a fun place too, now it's just plain creepy. I hope this isn't what eBay has started to morph into with estate pipes. Thanks in advance.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I am getting the impression that things aren't the same as they were on eBay say in 2005 as it relates to sniping and retractions, etc. what do I need to learn to play it safe when bidding on pipes?
Automated sniping has certainly become more the norm in the past decade. My suggestions are as follows:
1. Get as much info on the item before you bid. If you have questions, contact the seller. Ask for a better description or more pictures.

2. Use eBay's advanced search to get some idea regarding what others have paid for similar items.

3. Decide what you are willing to pay and don't get caught up in a bid war or a sniping war.

4. Don't get invested in winning. You haven't won until you have won.
Is eBay even a reasonable venue to cheaply obtain grungy estate pipes to learn restoration skills or should I look at other on-line auctions?
In short, yes. There are always great opportunities, especially with badly photographed pipes. I've picked up a lot of pipes for a buck or two apiece. eBay has no shortage of grungy pipes, at every price point.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I can't answer your email question.
I'd echo Sable's commments.
Not much is to be gained by bidding early, I wait until the last few seconds. I've never used a bidding service, but they are very popular.
Coincidentally, Ebay just send me this swell certificate that I'll treasure.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Membership has it's privileges Jones, I know you've got some great pipes in the short time I've been around. Lol. Congrats on the accolades.
Thanks Sable, I've been reading the self help pages on the site and it's looking less and less likely that I can re-register. It looks like I've got to start from scratch.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I haven't purchased much of anything from ebay other than a book or two. Lately, if I found a pipe I liked, I just decided what I would be willing to pay, put in a max bid and forgot about it.
My understanding is that ebay increases my bid incrementally until I win or get outbid. I don't have the patience to keep checking in or re-bidding. Does this strategy make any sense?
Pax

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I had several pipes set up for sniper bids this past weekend that were blocked by either the seller or ebay. (that's according to the sniping service) I called ebay and was told they don't allow sniping, and then she waffled and said they give sellers the option to block sniping. The seller replied that he wasn't aware of being able to do the blocking. It's hard to always do the last second bidding yourself if the end is at a bad time. One of the pipes that was blocked I wanted real bad. It was a real nice Paul Becker straight billiard with a hand made band that was sooo nice.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
@Pax The strategy of last second bidding is that your not letting other bidders know your interested. The fewer bids anyone sees the better your chance of winning....sometimes.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
This is why if I want a pipe I go to BriarBlues, MKELaw, SmokingPipes, PipesandCigars, or other site sponsor. It is just too much of a bother. Although, I suspect that the chase is a big part of the fun for a lot of folks.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
settersbrace, The only of your questions that seems unanswered is whether you can revive your existing account. If you still remember the password, then doing so should be easy. Once into your account, you simply need to update the email address associated with your account. Try contacting eBay Customer Service by phone . I would think they should like to have you back in action.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
settersbrace, I just tried the link while logged out of my account. The link I posted will take you to the sign-in page, but to the right you will see "New to eBay, or need help signing in?" and a "Continue" box. Click continue, and you should be put through the process far enough to have the option to call eBay. I hope that will work for you.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
brass, mcitinner1 is right about the point of sniping. Among the other benefits is that you do not have to keep checking the item. Just remember when it is ending and place your bid.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I pick up the odd 'cutty' on Oi Vay and if you are a buyer of a specific type or as in my case weird style you can stumble on some good deals on the odd occasion but most of the stuff is out and out dross.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The strategy of last second bidding is that your not letting other bidders know your interested. The fewer bids anyone sees the better your chance of winning....sometimes.
The problem is that it no longer works because a lot of people are thinking the same exact thing. You get sniping wars at the end with as many as a dozen bids in the last few seconds. It also leads to spectacular over payments when two "bright" snipers decide to bid high and collide at twice the market value "bright" sniper bidding. This pipe has a replacement stem. Normal price would be around $250.
So figure out what you are willing to pay, and don't get crazy.
I'm happy to hear that sniping can be blocked. In the long run it hurts eBay's business by discouraging bidders. Sellers do fine with or without sniping.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
brass, mcitinner1 is right about the point of sniping. Among the other benefits is that you do not have to keep checking the item. Just remember when it is ending and place your bid.
Thanks for the info guys. At least I'be beginning to understand why I never win anything.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
My understanding was the first bidder to make the offer, that would be originally, would be given the bid. I don't see much difference in that and putting in an auto bid for whatever amount at some point. The point to me would be know what the pipe or whatever is really worth, or worth to you anyway. If they are going to block sniping I have no problem with that, as long as they state it as a condition on their auction. Pay your money and take your shot. Works both ways. I have no problem ordering new pipes for new prices.That is what it is all about.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The only time I buy pipes on ebay anymore is if I can steal one. I would rather use the site sponsors who I know stand by their pipes and clean them to my standards. I will snipe at the end but do not use a service. I set a price in my mind and never go over it, if I win fine, if I lose fine. I never get emotional about a pipe.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
How many yachts did you buy the bigwigs at ebay in 16 yrs. Wowoeeee - nice going!

Status
Not open for further replies.