PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrenko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2016
Scandinavia
So i was just wondering will Plum Pudding disappear with the FDA thing? It was realeased in 2007 on tin. But was made before that also.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
It was realeased in 2007 on tin. But was made before that also.
TR has that information about many blends.
20181014_052953.png

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
I emailed them and they couldn't give me a definite answer. I looked at TR on the way back machine to 2007 and couldn't find SPC there. So I'm kind of worried about Plum Pudding not being around after our benevolent overlords ruin everything.

jrenko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2016
Scandinavia
Yeah i think i have to get alot more just to be on the safe side. Maybe a couple of tins of the other ones too :D

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
If for some reason Plum Pudding gets wacked, you might want to try Two Friends Deacons Downfall. It was created before 2007 and is readily available.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It sounds like the information coming from FDA on what and when is negligible. I figured the attention to the details for the small demographic of pipe tobacco would be minimal. Therefore, I suspect that when FDA lowers the boom, it will be arbitrary and completely ham handed. That is what distresses my local independent pipe shop owner most -- that the information is absent. The prices on the blends in question will go up, way up, I presume. Pipe smokers with less particular tastes will be less bothered than those who have refined their tastes, I'd say. To whatever degree I'm an undiscriminating smoker, it's all to the good.

erhardt85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
After all this time I haven't seen a single petition from the pipe smoking community asking for them to not kill pipe smoking for the common man. The FDA and dea have listened when it comes to banning much more dubious plants, so perhaps they would reconsider or redo this bill. Just a thought. I don't have the means or know how so spare the go ahead and do it yourself remarks. I have enough Plum Pudding to survive a nuclear winter thankfully. I need to create a list of other blends I still need to load up on though.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
To whatever degree I'm an undiscriminating smoker, it's all to the good.
That is applicable to so many things. Our world has become a paradise for the undiscriminating.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
After all this time I haven't seen a single petition from the pipe smoking community asking for them to not kill pipe smoking for the common man.
There's been one or two, though by and large we're just smokers to everyone else. The WHO is pushing anti tobacco so this one has a bit more steam. Calling pipe smokers a community is a bit of a stretch though.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/fda-deeming-regulations-petition

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
... or to put a better spin on it, since undiscriminating sounds like a guy would smoke an old sock, let's say adaptable. Some of the blends that are possibilities to survive are good, just not high flown premium blends, maybe like Edward G. Robinson, Iwan Ries Three Star Blue, Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic, and such, or pick your own old time favorites. And some of the high flown premium blends (name your own favorites) have been around long enough to possibly survive, depending on how draconian the reg enforcement is. If it is all treated as if it were crystal meth, then nothing will be available. (Maybe they should further address meth instead?)

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
The big question mark is how the FDA finally defines tobaccos. If the definition is loose (i.e. - Virginia, Burley, Orientals, etc.) then the case can be made for equivalency in some cases. We're heading toward a deadline without clearly defined guidelines.
Russ

erhardt85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
It would be nice if a group lobbied for us in a big way. Some kind of association

Status
Not open for further replies.