PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
I have a couple of Tom Spanu pipes. One is a horn and the other a Spanu Clairmont billiard. I have always assumed that these pipes were made from briar, but I have been reading how Tom Spanu used a lot of different types of woods for his pies, and I am curious if these pipes are perhaps made from a wood other than brair. What do you think?
Thank you
img_2881-600x450.jpg

img_2882-600x450.jpg

img_2883-600x450.jpg

img_2884-600x450.jpg

img_2885-600x450.jpg

img_2886-600x450.jpg

img_2888-600x450.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't have any Spanu pipes, but in addition to briar, cob, and clay, I have pipes made of Mountain Laurel and Cocobolo, and am considering one made of maple. So I'll be interested in any info on alternative wood in Spanu's. I've seen pipes advertised made of Morta (fossilized briar I think), strawberry, olive, rosewood, and some others.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I've got a Spanu Clairmont large dublin that is made from olive wood and briar. The main bowl is all olive wood and has very thick walls. The drilling is right on, and it smokes great. I bought it as an estate, so maybe it's being used was the reason I never noticed any flavor from the wood. It's a very nicely made pipe and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.
I think that the pipes you have are made from briar though.

orobusto

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2015
New York
I'm leaning toward briar because all the Spanu pipes of alternative wood I've seen have been smooth. I have an olive Spanu that I love. His cork wrapped briars are pretty good looking.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
The grain of olive is distinctly different than briar, and as these pipes aren't smooth, it's hard to say; but, the rims are smooth, and the grain suggests briar.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Something about Tom Spanu's work really intrigues me. I think it's that he uses alternative wood and his attention to detail. I'm hoping to have one of his lemon wood creations some day to see how that smokes.

I missed this one on ebay, recently. Never even put a bid on it...but it went for a steal.

$31.00 & 18.00 for shipping from Spain.

s-l1600.jpg

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
That's a beauty, Newbroom. Someone got a deal! I've been smoking my Spanu Clairmont every few days and it's breaking in nicely and is a fine smoking pipe. I am guessing it's likely from the '70's or thereabouts as it's a Clairmont with Spanu's name. I have a few older Caminettos and Ascortis from the '70's and they are all great smoking pipes. I would say the Spanu Clairmont is just as nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.