PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
SG must be amazed at how everyone of their blends sells out in minutes. They were used to having Best Brown, Full Virginia and St James be popular but not every single blend in their lineup. Social media is buying up shit they have never tried based on name alone. I can't wait till they start trying some of it and hating it.

stflorian

Might Stick Around
Jan 16, 2015
Luckily, I was at my computer when the email arrived. Looks like another quick sell out.

alexj52

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2018
Thanks a lot! Missed out on Cabbies mix but was still able to snag some favourites. Godspeed everyone.

drbenway

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2017
I will reach for my always filled jar of Haunted Bookshop every day before anything else. And if that was all I had to smoke I could live with that, but Cabbie's mixture with at least a year of age on it is a very tasty, enjoyable smoke for me.
And I got my 2 tins from SP by God.
Any thoughts on SG Navy Flake? I haven't tried that yet.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I was sitting at my computer, the email dinged, click the link for 250 gr box of BBF, it was gone. Not much advantage, apparently, to being a Silver VIP at SP. Oh well, better luck next time. Last year, it was the summer shipment from SG that was a big one.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Mark, a guy I know at another site got the email and it was 45 minutes late.
I am sure you will be able to find more Best Brown at one of your small mom and pops.

jerseysam

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2019
Liberty Township. OH
SP's a bit later to the party in the SG drop as compared to some of the smaller internet retailers....like Hoosierpipeguy I'm a 'Silver' account member and followed up 20 minutes after the e-mail.....house already cleaned out for the most part! Luckily had picked up a lot of BBF, FVF, and Squadron Leader last week. Also got a 'last' tin of the much maligned 'Jubilee 2012' for sh*t's and giggles. May be a crappy aromatic, but it's a seven-year old crappy aromatic thank you very much. Was there any St. James in any recent drops? I didn't get a whiff of that last week, didn't know if that went first or just never was in. Cabbie seems to have gotten real popular too.....I think it's pretty darn solid but not something I'd beat myself on not grabbing.
Overall, just from correspondence with different retailers in the last few days (coming new back to the vice), it seems like drops (from more of the niche or import marques) are measured in the low hundreds for a lot the sites (once divvied up over all distributors)....even some of the bigger ones. Completely anecdotal, and for sure likely fluctuates a great deal depending on manufacturer. It can be easy to lose sight of what a comparatively small market the 'premium pipe' segment represents.....a few dozen buyers 'first in' to a site can gobble up stock fast!
I'd also note.....I still am seeing G&H bulk and tins, as well as Rattrays, sitting neat and trim on more than few sites. For folks smarting over missing SG....equally good tobacco choices from both those marques.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I am sure you will be able to find more Best Brown at one of your small mom and pops.
No doubt Harris. I was looking more for Balkan Flake anyway. Between tins and bulk, I have around 12 lbs of BBF cellared already. It has actually moved ahead of FFV on my favorites chart though. I'll get some more when it is easily available. I'm happy to see a number of other people got their SG "Fix" satisfied.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Still waiting for the bulk Ennerdale, but I had some of my orders arrive today. What made these fun was that I ordered them a few days after the drop. Darned hoarders didn't grab them first and made me buy them.
20190329_134121.jpg

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Nice haul Embers, im a fan of all those blends.
I only ordered a tin of 1792. I'm pretty stocked up on SG stuff, but will order a bit of 1792 as I see it come up. As of this post its still available and though it will eventually go, Im happy that my preferred SG blend is not the first to go.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I just finished jarring up twenty pounds of Stokkebye Balkan Supreme last night, this arrives, and still awaiting five pounds of LBF. I now have Jar Acquistion Disorder. :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.