Sour taste in mouth.. and it's not the pipe causing it?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
Right, the last few days my initial light and first 2 thirds of the bowl have a sour burnt paper taste, the end third starts the taste normal and sweet but still not exact. I've tried 4 different tobaccos - English blends and Virginia heavy blends. 3 different pipes - various briars which are relatively clean and always smoke nice and 4 different lighting methods - butane lighter, zippo, matches and hemp wick.
My tongue doesn't look any different, still pink and clean after the usual morning and night time clean, it does feel a little 'furry' and my oral hygiene is as usual. I have eaten some overly salty pistachios and some sour coated sweets and drank quite a bit of beer.
Wtf is wrong with my mouth!? lol
Has my decadent lifestyle made my tongue and taste buds form a sort of protective furry film? Is it this semi perminant scarring making my pipes taste wrong??..
Has this happened to you?
Anything.. anyone??

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
You say the pipes are "relatively clean". Do you run pipe cleaners through them after every smoke, preferably while the pipe is still warm? If not, you could have a tar buildup, in which case you should do a salt and alcohol treatment.

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
Switch it up, lay off normal blends for a while, try something different in a new pipe? I would say stop for a while completely....but that's unreasonable. The only "sour" issues I've had is when I wasn't truly getting my pipes clean.
A new cob, will allow you to make sure it's not just something in your head...When my pipes soured due to improper cleaning I couldn't handle my favorite tobacco. I went in afraid to smoke and not smoking it/smoking something I knew wasn't messed up fixed it. :) When my pipes soured...it was a freak incident...all of them at once where I had been smoking aromatics and storing them in the garage...because I had to...you would be surprised what you can miss with pipe cleaners, even with alcohol sometimes.

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
I was curious if it was a dirt pipe, two of the three I smoked yesterday aren't spotless but they aren't rank either. One has been smoked 2-3 times since a full clean and still had that taste.
I've got about 15 pipes in semi regular rotation, maybe I'll dig out a cob and a falcon and try them..
On an oral related note, the roof of my mouth does also feel a little rough, like when you eat a load of crisps/potatoe chips and it scratches your mouth up. I have a feeling it's a mix of roughed up mouth, furry tongue, mucky pipes and poorly taste buds. I'll buy some snuff and lay off the smoke for as long as possible to give my mouth a rest and give all my users a good whiskey and salt clean.
(Might also be a case of the less spotted Peruvian bovine herpes..)

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
Just smoked a bowl of fresh Dunhill standard in a clean and newly refurbished cob and still.. That f'ing burnt paper taste!
Must be my mouth/tongue.
But whhhyyyy?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
No idea. But is your tobacco dry enough? If it's too moist, it'll burn hotter, increasing the chances of tongue/mouth discomfort. (As does smoking to fast or hard).

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
My baccy is pretty much perfect, stored in two part lid preserving jars. It's genuinely my mouth and I don't know how.
I've not smoked a pipe since Wednesday night and will see if I can manage for the rest of today. I shall reportmif my mouth is still misfiring!

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Ram piss.....you need to drink some ram piss; it's like a power reboot for your mouth. If you survive your tobacco will seem quite tasty.

Status
Not open for further replies.