Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
I'm having an absolutely wonderful smoke of McClelland's 2013 Christmas Cheer in my Nording Royal Flush Ace (the pipe in my picture). I've found this pipe smokes flakes very well. Or at least the two that I've tried, being Christmas Cheer and Navy Cavendish. It's the wonderful smokes that really make this hobby worth it; the sweetness of the leaf in the smoke on your tongue, the aroma, the slow burn, and warmth of the pipe in your hand. The possibility of a burn to ash with no dottle. And the pipe and tobacco's ability to calm your mind, body, and soul after a stressful day... or week. It is these wonderful smokes that can help you escape the real world as you focus on a book you may be reading, or a movie you may be watching... or perhaps just a dream you may be daydreaming as you smell and taste your tobacco and watch the smoke slowly drift up from your bowl. You might be thinking of the future, or remembering the past, or contemplating life. You might be shutting down your thoughts and thinking of absolutely nothing at all, only enjoying the moment and letting your cares escape with the smoke from your briar. Sometimes it is the ritual alone that matters, and sometimes even that means nothing. Sometimes you can escape everything to be alone with God. Sometimes you can escape it all and be alone with yourself where nothing matters but the smoke. And sometimes, when you meet that total state of relaxation and content, even that can be nothing. Escape... at least for a little while. And happy smokes to you all.

aquilas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
Very much agreed.
I like listening to music while I sit outside and puff on my pipe at night. It's very, very relaxing.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
You might be shutting down your thoughts and thinking of absolutely nothing at all, only enjoying the moment
This is the goal ... clearing the mind of clutter and thought and being only "in the now".
Well stated Tony and happy smokes to you as well brother! :puffy:

bulldogbriar89

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2014
First off I want to say that McClelland christmas cheer is one on my favorite tobacco blends, my faforite years I have smoked are a 98, and 2003. Second I just zone out and get lost in the world inside my head when I am smoking my pipe. I could be having a rough stressful day at work and as soon as I go on break, and light my pipe it is all forgotten.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Anthony, that was truly superb! I'm going to show it around to my friends. I wish I had written it--but don't worry--I'll claim that I did.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
These thoughts are so much in my wheelhouse. I enjoy a pipe while listening to music, and Sibelius is definitely a good choice. I just had a nice smoke, snagging my wife's Savinelli Linea 76 and smoking some Shortcut to Mushrooms in it while listening to Laurie Anderson's Life on a String. I'd have mentioned her in the underrated musicians thread, but I doubt anyone has listened to her music. Yeah, she was Lou Reeds wife, and has been writing and performing for over 30 years, is a classically trained violin player, and a very talented musician. But, in her own words, she performs "difficult music", that is not only interesting, but thought provoking. Not exactly something you can dance to, or sing along with, but a great story teller and musical innovator. It was a great evening with the pipe and her music, and I can easily get lost in the moment, putting all the stupid daily news and anti-tobacco zealots out of mind.

mrgunnar177

Lifer
Apr 5, 2012
United States
I live for those smokes that everything falls into place, it probably only happens to me once every few months that those pipe smoking stars align and you get that sublime smoke

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
Anthony, very well said. And now, thanks to you, I'll have to try some McClelland's 2013 Christmas Cheer. And I wasn't gonna spend any money on bacci this month, or next.

Jan 8, 2013
Most definitely, Peck. Too many do not understand what they're missing.
Indy... give it some time, some 2013 will turn up on one site or another. I just found a tin of 2012 that I'm hoping will still be around come payday. And of course the 2014 blend is just about everywhere now.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I was listening to "The Seven Last Words of Jesus Christ" by Heinrich Schutz while enjoying my Friday night pipe tonight. It's amazing how the centuries melt away with a good smoke. Of course the Canadian Mist helps the effect, but the pipe is central.
Great post Anthony. so true.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
You are wise, Anthony!
Yes, nothing beats a pipe to remove the daily stresses life throws at us.
I believe its why I have not gone off on people at work who truly deserve it.

Jan 8, 2013
I believe its why I have not gone off on people at work who truly deserve it.
I laughed out loud (literally) when I read that, Mrenglish, because I often feel the same :lol: They don't understand how lucky they are I smoke a pipe. Often, when I'm frustrated at work, I remind myself that at home I have some pipes and tobaccos waiting for me that will make the day a better day.

Status
Not open for further replies.