PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Maybe its just me but of recent the Condor Plug seems to be overly moist and doesn't taste like it used too. The room note doesn't seem to have that Condor smell and the next morning my office just smells like an empty pub. I just opened an older plug and smoked a few slices of that in my pipe and that seemed fine but new stuff seems almost like a Captain Monochromatic plug. Actually you can leave it out over night and its still fresh in the morning! I've added a pinch of old Condor gifted to me by a forum member into my plug mixture and then everything smells like it should. Maybe I am just getting old but something is certainly amiss in the Condor universe. Anyone had a similar experience recently?

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I would forgo my $100.00 maximum for 500g, for C. Block, but not for Condor. That's gouging.
peck, thanks! It's a miracle I've survived given my outstanding social graces of a few months back, and from there I started posting about religion and politics! So I'm glad to be here.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I've noticed in the plugs I have recently they don't slice the way the way they used to. Hitting stems,etc and wanting to pull apart as I'm slicing them...

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
So its not me then Dave. The last batch we got in are the same ones we are both talking about as you had half of what I picked up. I am just getting 'air biscuit' flavor and not that traditional Condor moment. Strange, very strange.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I thought the same whwn I opened a packet of Ready Rubbed last week ,that it wasnt the same flavour.I bought this recently in England

I smoked it back to back with a bowl of plug I bought about 1 1/2 years ago.

Definitely different i wonder if we are now getting Polish made Condor after the irish made stocks have gone.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
The room note is just not the same - my office smells like a damp pub in the morning without the beer stained flooring! I am going to send Jim Inks a plug this morning and ask for a 'Stewards' opinion on the matter as there is definitely something going on. Usually I mix my Condor Plug with either black or brown twist or I make up a 50/50 mixture of Warrior Plug and Condor Plug. Recently I started smoking the plug straight again and noticed that it was really different from what I remember. Now another member seems to notice a difference in the Condor RR. I am wondering if the Polish stuff has had the topping messed around with since it is radically different when compared to stocks of the Irish made product.

Reactions: thedoc333

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Didn't the Gallaher factory shut down last year? I wonder if this version of Condor is being produced somewhere else...

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I believe it is made in Eastern Europe somewhere. I purchased a tonne of the Irish stuff from a forum member a few months ago which seems fine its just this large batch that I sourced in Ireland from our usual friends in Dublin that seems to be way off kilter. Strangely if I mix it up with Warrior everything seems to return to normal. Anyone else experienced this strange development?

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I think all of my plugs are from 2015 -2016 but I’m just curious. Simon, will you post the batch number here? When I get the time I’d like to go through my stash to see if I happen to have any with the same number. This is disheartening news but thankfully I’m pretty well stocked, my stash should last me the rest of my life.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
Condorlover..say it's not so. Not our beloved Condor. If this is true...life just ended as we know it.

cstephen

Lurker
Jun 19, 2014
condorlover1, i emailed the manufacturers of condor some months ago as I too noticed the ready rubbed had gone very much downhill, i found it tasted like mud and the famous condor essence had almost dissapeared.
condors manufacturers emailed me back and told me the entire range of condor was now made in Poland.
I noticed the change in quality when the uk introduced the new changes in the packaging.
happily I have a few other tobaccos that I rely on for my daily bread, namely amphora full aroma and a couple.of the mac baren offerings.
yes it is sad that condor is a shadow of its former self but life is too short to pay UK prices for sub par tobacco.

Dec 24, 2012
So, any update on people's perception of this new condor? Is this just for the plug, or are the other variants (including the long cut) now made in Poland as well? Is there any way from the packaging to tell the plugs made in Ireland from those made in poland?

Status
Not open for further replies.