PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
I picked up something different (to me) awhile ago because it was unique in my eyes. It's an antique meerschaum, perhaps from the mid-1800's. My guess is that it is a Debrechen meerschaum. Please feel free to share your opinion on the origins of the pipe. I welcome any help on learning more about this style of pipe!IMG_20191030_085903.jpgIMG_20191030_085940.jpgIMG_20191030_085835.jpgIMG_20191030_085927.jpgIMG_20191030_090735.jpg

Reactions: shanez

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
It is pretty impressive. I've been looking around for a replacement stem but I really don't know what would be the the right stem to go with the bowl. I just don't have the knowledge. I was hoping forum members more familiar with antique meerschaums might be able to chime in and enlighten me as to the period meerschaum pipes were made with the seashell design and perhaps the countries that produced that style. I think it will be just plain luck if I am ever to find a replacement stem. They would be rare in my opinion. I would try a few bowls if I ever did find a stem.

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Condor, yes I saw that one, thanks. I believe the length, width, etc. of the stem is dependent on the size of the bowl. I've been checking out antique meers on the web and there is a lot of variety out there but as you say, mostly cherry wood and horn mouth piece. Here's a comparison of the meer to a couple of Peterson pipes, the calabash being fairly large for a normal briar.IMG_20191031_065516.jpgIMG_20191030_210037.jpg

jhowell

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
It is pretty impressive. I've been looking around for a replacement stem but I really don't know what would be the the right stem to go with the bowl. I just don't have the knowledge. I was hoping forum members more familiar with antique meerschaums might be able to chime in and enlighten me as to the period meerschaum pipes were made with the seashell design and perhaps the countries that produced that style. I think it will be just plain luck if I am ever to find a replacement stem. They would be rare in my opinion. I would try a few bowls if I ever did find a stem.
Call Rich at Briarville.

Reactions: mau1

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Yes, this is called a lap pipe (because of how you smoke it), and it should have a long wood stem (usually cherry wood) with a horn mouthpiece. Yours is very nice.

Reactions: mau1
Status
Not open for further replies.