PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifeon2

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2012
denver co
You know as I go through my collection, 250+, I realize that my interests have long been veering towards what we commonly call otc or drug store pipes. Now dont get me wrong I have my savs and sasienis and gbd and so forth but what really intrigues me as I am cleaning up an estate Grabow, Medico, MM, Yelo Bole etc is the story that rests behind these "cheap" pipes. These were and still are to some degree the everyman pipe these were the pipes that Joe the factory worker or Bill the G.I. smoked the work a day type people that helped build this country not Ronald the bank president or Harold the head surgeon. So remember before we poo-poo the lowly drug store pipe, not that here is much of that around here bless you for a great bunch of guys, stop and think that after a hard days work Joe came home to light up his Kaywoodie or his Medico Medalist and reflect on the days work or perhaps even dread the next day. Maybe Bill hunkered down with his buddies and lit up that Dr. Grabow and hoped at the end of tomorrow he and all his friends would still be there. So IMHO these pipes may be looked down on by some but I for one am learning to appreciate the everyday history of these pipes smoked by men who may not have changed the world or built an empire but simply did what they had to do from day to day. Just a thought.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
:worship: lifeon2

That is a great way to put things into perspective. I personally only own" OTC / Drugstore" pipes and I enjoy them alot. I think for me personally I would enjoy my smoke less if it cost me a weeks or even a day's wages to afford the delivery system. No disrespect to anyone who enjoys the "Top of The Line" pipes but I will stick to my MM Cobs, Grabows & Medicos (at least until I win the lottery :rofl:) .

thebadkitty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 29, 2012
Albany, Oregon
I just bought my first Dr. Grabow, and I would buy another. The pic is 3 smokes in ...its about twice that now, and I love it.
RD002_zps044a7fa1.jpg

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
I value this beat up DG Berwyck coupon pipe right up there alongside my Dunhill, Savs, GBDs, Nording and Comoys.
Go figure.
DGB_zpsdaadb132.jpg

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
My Grabows stay in my rotation always, as do my Kaywoodies. They are real fun to clean up and put back to work.

cajundad

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2012
Louisiana
I love my Kaywoodies as well . I smoke my woodies , falcons , and other lower priced pipes more than the expensive ones . Maybee its because I dont mind if somthing happens to them , but they serve the purpose well .

seamusjft

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 16, 2012
That was a very well written post. I really loved the way you told the story and the nod of the head to the great working man. :clap:

lifeon2

Jan 19, 2012
denver co
Thanks guys I was feeling a little contemplative last night as I was dusting my pipes and it just sort of dawned on me why my collection had been headed in that direction. I was brushing off an older Kaywoodie that I picked up at an estate sale and I remembered how badly caked it had been when I got it and I was thinking how much the previous owner had enjoyed smoking it because while the cake was very heavy the airway from stem to bowl was almost immaculately clean. His daughter was running the sale as he had passed and she told me her father had worked as a lineman for the power company until his retirement after he left the military and it all just sort of came to me.

austinxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2012
Beautiful.
I'm a proud owner of a couple Grabows and Woodies - love them. Don't think Pipesmagazine.com is too populated with snobs for that matter, eaither. Thank you for sharing!

freakiefrog

Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
Well put and hey if is smokes good and fits in the mouth well, I'm with you smoke it. Nothing wrong with a drug store briar..

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Well said. I only own one Kaywoodie, but it's for those reasons why I wanted one. A classic working man's pipe.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Some of the Kaywoodies early last century were priced comparably to Dunhills. Current KWs range in price from the drugstore models on cards all the way to the limited edition and POY high grades that Bill Feuerbach carves himself. The latter are best buys for artisan class pipes.
I have several DrGs, a YelloBole and a bunch of KWs, and some of them are as sweet as my big name pipes. Granted, the workmanship isn't in the same class as a Purdy, Stokkebye, Castello or Dunhill, but I'm in it for the quality of the puff.
hp

les

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
A very well writen post ,i have many of the otc pipes and estates that have always been great smokers . :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.