PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
A while back I purchased some of the Keystone filter stones by Nording. I really like the Nording pipes I have, so I thought I would give them a try. I have used them in about 10 bowls now, and I thought I would give my thoughts for others who might be considering trying these, as I haven't been able to find many good reviews of them.
On the first smoke with them I thought it fitting to use them in my Nording Classic, so I put 5-6 of the little stones in the bottom of the pipe. They are not uniformly sized, so I had to kind of pick the sizes to give a somewhat even surface to fill on top of. I loaded up some rubbed out PS Luxury Navy Flake which I have been very successful smoking without the stones, to use as a control(to see if they messed with flavor, etc). The first thing I noticed is that the stones seem to really muck up the airflow dynamics - to a point where I couldn't actually get the pipe draw to slow at all, no matter how much I stuffed in there. I like a light draw, but this was like there was nothing in the pipe. I proceeded with what I thought was a sane packing by feel since my draw test was useless, and fired it up.
It's been so long since I've had bite while employing the "breath method", even smoking Virginia dominate tobaccos, that I was taken back immediately. Even extending my breathing out a little purposely to slow the pace, I was getting a nice steamy bite all the way through the bowl. I found this to be kind of humorous given that these are advertised as providing a cool, dry smoke. What made it even more hilarious is the bowl started to not want to stay lit during the last 1/4 bowl, and I found after dumping it in frustration that the heel of the pipe was swamped out.. something I haven't had happen in this pipe for ages now.
I have since smoked Dunhill EMP, 965, and Pirate Kake, and I've tried them in various pipes, including a few cobs(thinking maybe they would at least block the little bits), and an old trusty Dr. Grabow Grand Duke.
Bad News: Every pipe and blend I smoked with the stones was actually harder for me to smoke evenly due to the airflow problem. I also ended up losing more tobacco at the end of the bowl than without them(another thing that is contrary to claims on the tin), due mostly to the extra moisture that the stones seem to condense on their surface faster than they can apparently absorb.
Good News: they don't have any perceptible effect on flavor, and even despite the heel being swampy I somehow never had any gurgle. I can't say if that is the stones or the breath method, since I haven't had to clear gurgles with pipe cleaners since employing the breath method.
That is really the end of the good news.. I can't honestly recommend them.
P.S.

When I first saw the stones in the tin, I thought the stones resembled a fine type of bonsai soil amendment called "akadama". I brought them over to a friends house who is a bonsai enthusiast and we compared them.. I am nearly certain that these stones are just fine grade akadama in a cool little tin.

Reactions: OakIris
Jan 8, 2013
I've often considered giving these a try whenever I see them pop up at one retailer or another, but I've never followed through. Thanks for the review. I think I'll continue to steer clear of them.

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
If you want to try them, I'd be happy to stuff them in an envelope and send em your way(gratis). Perhaps you might have better luck than I have.

Jun 27, 2016
They both seem to be volcanic clay pellets. :puffpipe: What blends are you smoking in your pipe? If the tobacco is too wet, you will probably get moisture buildup and unsmokable dottle, even with adsorbents in the bottom of the bowl. I use meer chips and I like them, but I try to make sure that the tobacco is dry enough as well, or the chips may end up with some moisture below them. Even under ideal circumstances with the chips, I might get one early gurgle that I swipe with a cleaner, but usually the bowl and especially the baccy will stay dry, and I'll get basically a complete burn. :puffy:

Oct 7, 2016
I have used them for a few months from time to time with reasonable success. The only real problem I have had was early on when I discovered that some of the smaller stones will get in the airway of pipes with a larger draft hole. But that is easily avoided by picking out the larger ones. I have a few pipes with draft holes drilled higher than I prefer, and I bought the initial bag with the thought that it might be an alternative to building a false bottom. On that score, they are a complete solution, at least for me. On other pipes, I have used them and there is a discernible, but not dramatic, lessening of moisture and ease of cleaning. Anything that absorbs any amount of moisture before it reaches your mouth is a good thing, as steam is hotter than smoke, but I am a slow smoker so the improvement is not dramatic. With the exception of two times early on when the airway became blocked, I have noticed no change in ease if draw, and on those two occasions, running a pipe cleaner through cleared the blockage. Oh, I own no Nordings.
Bottom line, a solution to a fairly common problem that might be satisfactory to you, otherwise a slight overall improvement. I think I paid about $11 for a bag that looks like it will last a long, long time and when the bag runs low, I will either reorder or investigate the small lava pellets that seem to be available on Amazon. I am intrigued by Duane's suggestion and will investigate it.

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Try this:
Option 1"

Get a hammer, get a DRY, new, terra cotta (clay) flower pot, and smash the crap out of it with the hammer. Protect your eyes while doing this. Pick out all the chips that will fit into the bottom of your pipe. Done.
To use: Stick a pipe cleaner into the stem of your pipe and into the bottom of the smoke chamber, then place a few smaller, pottery chips down in the heel of the pipe and pack the pipe as usual. Oh.... you need to pull out the pipe cleaner before attempting to light, and smoke the pipe. ;)
Option 2:

Go to NAPA Auto. Buy a 25 pound bag of "Floor Dry" - absorbent PN# 8822 (fired Diatomaceous Earth pellets). Use the bigger pellets for you pipe smoking needs. Use the rest for cat litter, dry out oils spots on floors, your driveway/garage, mix it with garden soil for better drainage.
**********************************************************************************************************
Akadama (chasingembers) mentioned this, is used a component, when mixing bonsai "soils" ....but it's just a fired diatomaceous earth pellet. Try: Hydroponic Growing Supply stores...they may have an alternative/equivalent. "Weed" growers -(for medical purposes)-can be very inventive.
Also: "Turface MVP".... is also a fired clay pellet used to quickly dry puddles around baseball diamonds, football fields, etc. Comes in a 40 lb. bag. Very similar to NAPA 8822 Floor Dry.
Just thought of this: Activated Charcoal/Carbon pellets. Sold at any large pet stores/aquarium supply stores....absorbs bot odors and moisture.
Proceed at your own risk. These alternatives may or may not give you the desired results, also, and none of the above will ruin/haunt your pipes.
Good luck, and blow some smoke rings....
Frank

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
What blends are you smoking in your pipe? If the tobacco is too wet, you will probably get moisture buildup and unsmokable dottle, even with adsorbents in the bottom of the bowl.
I typically don't have any moisture problems with any of the stuff I usually smoke: Dunhill EMP, MM 965, Pirate Kake, PS Luxury Navy Flake.
I have managed to figure out how to smoke each well and without any issue(heel is dry, no gurgles, minimal relights). I just wanted to give them a shot to see if I was missing anything. I am not really seeing them absorb much moisture, as I got curious and cracked one with a knife after a smoke. I see no sign that they are actually absorbing anything. They do seem to create a significantly cooler area in the bowl causing moisture to condense. This could be good, if you spend the time to learn to use them. For pipes that need a boost because the draft hole is too high, they might be great too(although I think I might use pipe mud instead).

I personally did not find them to be the "put in bottom and moisture goes away" kind of solution they are purported to be. Furthermore, I was thinking about how these may be thought to benefit newer smokers with unfiltered pipes that are trying to avoid moisture problems. I can only imagine how wet they would get if I was freight training my pipe. Also, I would think if used on a newer pipe that they would inhibit formation of cake/carbon in the heel.
Just some thoughts from my tired mind..

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I had another thought - perhaps how I am smoking is partly to blame? As I said in the initial post, I have been smoking using the "breath" method. I hold the pipe in closed mouth and take 4-5 breaths, when exhaling a very slight wisp of smoke exits, and usually on the 5th I exhale and release the "massaged" smoke from my mouth(wow this would sound bad out of context :D )

Maybe the slight reverse movement of smoke is causing more moisture to condense than would if I was just normally puffing?

It just occurred to me that I do have a couple McClelland's blends I haven't smoked because they are pretty wet in the tin(Frog Morton Cellar, Old Dog). Maybe I will give those a try in the Nording Classic with the stones today to see if I have better results not using my bastardized breath method.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Tobacco pipe makers have invented an unending series of systems to improve the smoke, as inducements to buy their pipes, from circuitous airways within the pipes, to a huge array of stingers, various types and sizes and materials of filters, and much more. These key stones are another version; the pipes are inexpensive, and the keystones aren't much, but the time spent loading them and renewing them might mount up. I really enjoy my Nording pipes, so well engineered and finished. But I don't think I'll be getting keystones. If I had the pipe, I feel I'd soon skip the keystones, and it is probably a good little smoker otherwise.

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I'd deep six any and all such gimmicks, and concentrate on getting the tobacco proper moisture for good combustion.
Generally speaking, I tend to agree. However, I am still a curious person by nature and so I feel the need to give new products an honest try to see if they can prove me wrong. I do occasionally like using balsa filters in certain pipes, especially when it's raining outside and humidity is really high.

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I thought I should update this review, as I've been using the stones on and off for about a month now. I've used them in a number of different pipes with wide and narrow bowls, and different models of MM cobs. I also used them with a variety of blends: VaPers, English/Balkan, OTC Burley, and few "gooey" Aromatics.
I have to admit that my initial reports of them causing bite was likely due to my own misuse. If you avoid all the larger stones(or break them into smaller bits), they do work fairly well depending on blend. The open draw problem I had was largely due to the huge gaps the large stones made, and is remedied by picking a consistent size stone.
I still didn't see a marked decrease in moisture in the heel, but for aromatic blends they do seem to inhibit the formation of sticky dottle(if you are smoking that sort of aromatic). As for non-aromatics, I did an experiment where I loaded all my tobaccos fresh out of the tin/jar into a briar pipe with the stones, and they actually did prevent gurgle and moisture accumulation in the shank. That said, I can get the exact same result just by properly drying the tobacco before smoking. Pipe dimensions don't really seem to play much of a role, but for pipes with larger diameter draft holes(5/32+) such as cobs, they do help to lessen the frequency of bits making their way up the stem.
Another thing that I think is noteworthy - I dedicated a new cob to these stones for a couple weeks and they completely prevent cake formation beneath the layer of stones. This was to be expected, but I thought it worth mentioning for newer smokers who might be considering these to lessen the moisture / bite from their fresh pipes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd recommend sticking to the simplest pipe designs and fewest extra supplies, and learning to smoke that way, perfect that method. The more unique, patented, and other extra add-ons, the more bother and less satisfaction for most people, I would suggest. Again, I greatly appreciate my Nording pipes, all of which are straightforward and simple in design.

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I'd recommend sticking to the simplest pipe designs and fewest extra supplies, and learning to smoke that way, perfect that method. The more unique, patented, and other extra add-ons, the more bother and less satisfaction for most people, I would suggest. Again, I greatly appreciate my Nording pipes, all of which are straightforward and simple in design.
Agreed 100%. There is also something to be said for simple design and good drilling in the pipe you are smoking. All the pipes I have the smoke well have basically a perfect mortise to tenon "end fit", where there is virtually no gap where the stem face meets the draft hole(aside from the funneling). On these pipes, they require very little effort to clean, and do not gurgle or otherwise seem to have moisture issues. These are what I call my "1 pipe cleaner" pipes. In contrast, I have some pipes that were meant to be smoked with a filter, with cavernous shank interiors, that usually result in large quantities of condensed moisture on the metal filter holders. Those take a lot more effort to not have gurgle, especially in the continual dampness of the Pacific Northwest climate.
I bought the stones mostly out of curiosity, rather than to actually remedy a particular issue I was having. I thought I'd give them a fair test run and report back what I experienced in the case that someone was thinking the same thing as I was when I saw them.

Oct 7, 2016
As stated above, I have used the Nording stones for several months now and am largely pleased. In fact, I ordered another bag from 4 Noggins to help offset the postage cost of a single tin of ET, even though I still had at least 1/2 bag left. If you are diametically opposed to anything that might be labeled a gimmick, so be it. As my overall impression seems to be more favorable than badbreaths, mileage may very well differ in actual usage. No surprise there I did not think I would find the stones as beneficial as they have proven to be. Some of the other alternatives mentioned in this thread are intriguing.

Status
Not open for further replies.