PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tg51

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2017
Fort Polk, LA
I set some Dunbar out to dry last night, intending to smoke it in my XL Ben Wade but I realized this morning I had already packed it away for thanksgiving. So I thought why not do some experimenting in a few different pipes.

In the Savinelli 125 Alligator:
-Full bodied, deep dark flavor
-Virginia's at the forefront, bready and grassy flavor
-Perique was hiding in the background, difficult to tease out

In the Peterson Standard System 313 (ghosted aromatic bowl):
-Flavors muted
-Cooler smoke
-less body and lighter mouth feel

In the Moonshine Co. Little Devil Anse (Half a Bowl):
-Found the fermented zing of the Perique, most powerful on the end of the nose via retrohale
-Virginia's were more in the supporting role
-Lively sparkle on the tongue from the Perique

The smoke was best in the Devil Anse but due to the recent spike in the amount of bowls I've been enjoying both of my lighters went kaput halfway through. Thoroughly disappointing.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Like many of Esoterica's blends, Dunbar is a semi aromatic, apricot is what I get from it. Sounds like you may have over dried it and lost that top note. Aging is no friend of Dunbar in that it loses its uniqueness over time and I find its moisture from the tin perfect for smoking when lightly packed.

Reactions: spartacus

tg51

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2017
Fort Polk, LA
Like many of Esoterica's blends, Dunbar is a semi aromatic, apricot is what I get from it. Sounds like you may have over dried it and lost that top note. Aging is no friend of Dunbar in that it loses its uniqueness over time and I find its moisture from the tin perfect for smoking when lightly packed.
I'll keep that in mind for tomorrow. I do indeed think I overdid the drying. Usually I can leave a bowlful out overnight, but it was pretty dry last night so you may be right.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Interesting how flavour notes changed with pipes, even though two of those pipes were billiards—then again, one was bent.

Please don't tell me that I have to smoke the same blend in every one and each of my pipes to find out which pipe is the perfect match. ?

tg51

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2017
Fort Polk, LA
Interesting how flavour notes changed with pipes, even though two of those pipes were billiards—then again, one was bent.

Please don't tell me that I have to smoke the same blend in every one and each of my pipes to find out which pipe is the perfect match. ?
I think the difference for me was the ghosting of the Peterson mostly along with the differences in bowl diameter.

tg51

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2017
Fort Polk, LA
In descending order:
Savinelli
Peterson
Moonshine

The moonshine is so narrow I have to pack with my pinky, but as one forum member was keen to point out, I do have ogre hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.