PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
My local antique store came through for me this Christmas and had these four estate pipes. From top to bottom:
Ropp Canadian

Astley's Tudor Rose (My favorite of the four)

Yello Bole Ventura (NOS)

GBD Legacy
Those were six bucks each.
xmas%20estates_zpsyvxfqwun.jpg

Even ebay favored me this week with one of my favorite makes, This old Tom Howard:
Tom%20Horward_zpsibeiwbvf.jpg

That pipe is 6 1/2 inches long. Came with it's original removable stinger too.
Now if I can just shake this nasty cold I'll got out the shop and enjoy them!

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Tuold:
You did well, brother. I agree on the Astley's Tudor Rose. That's a beautiful pipe.
The Tom Howard's I've seen have always eluded me, but yours is over the top. I'm more familiar with his burners than I am his performing career. I wonder if this is the same man? The timing seems right.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0397643/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm
Good haul.
Fnord

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
fnord, that is the guy. Here's a TV show he hosted in the 50's (Warning, it's awful!)
It Pays To Be Ignorant
The one thing that remains to be solved is exactly who made Tom Howard pipes.
According to this Popular Mechanics article he was a hobbyist carver. I like to think he personally carved the three pipes I have with his signature stamped on them, but I doubt that's true. Some say they were made by the Weber Pipe Company.
weber_zpsndpqectz.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Six bucks apiece. Life is unfair. I've never encountered even a selection of worthy pipes like that at an antique store or flea market, much less bought 'em. Maybe you should leave your name and phone number with the proprietor and ask him/her to call when they get in pipes. Those look to be in really good shape and well selected. Bravo.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Nate, when I look at that "estate" all I see is giant lawn to mow and property taxes I can't afford =)
MSO, it's just one guy who leases a corner of the antique store who brings in all those pipes. I'd like to meet up with him one of these days and ask him where he finds them all. I only bought about half of what he had there. Also left behind a nice pipe rack he has for sale for $25 bucks. Gotta pace myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.