PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

admiral

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2017
Aside from jarring such any other recommendations for long term storage? I am thinking about vacuum seal in plastic bags (don't have mylar here), but I am afraid it will dry out in several years.

Reactions: oldmansmoking

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Put them in a canning jar without the tin. Those tins are not sealed so the tobacco will dry out if kept that way. The tobacco will probably dry faster than in a couple years if left in the tin. That is my experience anyway.

brooklynpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2018
Why the hell are people so against jarring? It's like a call back at this point.

Don't tell me about space issues. I live in New York in an apartment built for Keebler elves

Reactions: shanez
Oct 7, 2016
Mylar or jars, both work for me, but right now the actual spaces I have freed up for tobacco lend themselves better to Mylar.

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
Why the hell are people so against jarring? It's like a call back at this point.

Don't tell me about space issues. I live in New York in an apartment built for Keebler elves

It depends on the amount of tobacco you have that is relative to the space to store it in. Jars take up to much room and are not easily stored. I do both and find that tins store easier and are not near as heavy as jars.

Reactions: 3rdguy

admiral

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2017
Not against jarring - just prefer to have it in tins if possible. In this case the tin is not suitable for storing the tobacco for longer periods, so I need to look for solutions.
Now the sealed bags will leave the tin in the game, but also not suitable for longer term storing as both will slowly leak over time. Combined will slow down the process but eventually it will dry out - although it may hold on for couple of years.
I fried of mine for example is duct taping the tins - everything not in round shaped tin :)
Thinking about it maybe this is the answer taping the tin and then vacuum sealing it. And yes I know how it sounds :)

Jarring is the safest solution for looong term storage no argue about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.