PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
understand if people have dentures
Yup, one reason I like acrylic bits better than most vulcanite. I don't clench that often any more, but when I do the acrylic has a better feel (with the exception of one of my Brebbias that's just so daggone comfortable & lightweight that I hardly even notice the bit at all).
Personally I've never used softies but I could probably get used to them if I did. Pre-dentures I was a big clench guy but now I usually hand-hold. Makes me look more pensive/academic too, like a professor, or so I've been told. I guess so, but for *me* the user it's just more comfortable. :mrgreen:
Bill

anantaandroscoggin

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
I have some of the Ukranian lathe-turned long-stemmed pipes I got for the fun of them, but found I didn't like the texture of the wooden bit in my mouth. I got some of the 9mm Ø softies and they are much less unpleasantly textured. This is after I had gotten the larger size for a couple of very, very slippery pipes.
Too bad there isn't a cure for round-stemmed bits like clay pipes have. Every time I let my hand go of the stem while smoking one, it twists over and tries to dump the coals, ashes and tobacco into my lap (sadly all too successfully, sometimes).

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I clench, so yea I use them. I think the BJ Long’s to be the best. But that’s just my size, you know.

tkcolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Granby, CO
I only use them on pipes with repaired bits that I am trying to protect. And at that, I use rubber thin rubber tubing. I have a few pipes that are impossible to clench, and I never smoke them. I really hate the bits.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I could see not using them on a stem that an artisan carver made and if one was made to be really comfortable, but all the ones that I have are not artisan carved. They all likely have a factory cut stem, but not sure they were as carefully created and shaped, like you mention. Most of my pipes are really comfortable for me without the softy bit, but the ones that move too much will get one every time.
On the other hand, as you said, if I get a pipe that does have that super comfortable bit that the carver spent a tremendous amount of time on, I don't know if I would want to muck it up by screwing with the finish. I want to keep it nice just in case, who knows if or when, I decide to sell it or need to sell it, I won't have to have the damn thing refinished or refinish it myself in order to clean up any teeth chatter I might have made when I spill hot coffee in my lap. To each their own, but that's just me.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
It is a stem to a pipe. It is made to be bitten. If you are worried about selling it, I have news for you, it isn't going to sell for much. Don't count on pipes as investments. Just smoke them for your enjoyment. Or be a weirdo and put condoms on everything you touch so you don't hurt it.

Reactions: BDIC

snowyowl

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
As I have posted when this has come up before, I use them on my field pipes... when I am walking over hill and dale, crossing single board stream crossing in the dead of winter and doing anything but thinking about what my pipe is doing.

I bought a 50-count tube of these things from EACarey several years ago. I swap them out when I bite through them.

I also have one on a Parker estate pipe where a former owner's tooth marks caused the stem to fail... the rubber covers the stem hole perfectly!

jrenko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2016
Scandinavia
Its a love hate thing for me. I use them on all my pipe except one. I hate the look of it on my pipes but if just feels so much better to bite on. I dont care for teeth marks on the stems it's just more comfortable. The one pipe that i dont use it on is bigger, wider and have a bigger lip so it rest nice on my teeth.

Mabey it's a thing i have to get used to not using but it's hard to break old habits atleast someone like me :lol:

economistandfisherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2018
I've used them for ages, absolutely love them...and so does my dentist!!! I'm a clencher and if you don't want to ruin your teeth, it's the best way...and I've found no rubber taste at all. That said, its important you put them on correctly, they need to be fully behind the lip of the pipe; the rubber bits have their own lip, so that is what effectively becomes the new stem lip.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I have dentures and use them. It makes the pipes easier to clench and most importantly, it also protects my dentures. Believe it or not, dentures can chip and wear also.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
I'm a clencher and if you don't want to ruin your teeth, it's the best way.

Totally agree with this. As of now though, I only use them on my heavier pipes with acrylic stems.

Status
Not open for further replies.