PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssavarimuthu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2016
Just received two softy bits from P&C. I like the comfort of them and like that they will prevent the bite marks on the stem, since I clench quite hard.
I wanted to ask about the specific placement of them. If my pipe stem has a ridge at the end of it (like the softy bit itself) do I slide the bit onto or past the stems ridge? Also, o you all like or dislike them?
Thanks!

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Careful with the rubber bits if you are a heavy clencher. The proprioceptive nerve response is dulled thereby allowing you to actually clench much harder than you would on a solid bit. The rubber will save the pipe at the possible expense of a sore TMJ.

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
Meh - they are soft, but they add to the circumference of the bit. I'd rather clench a finely tapered mouthpiece than bite down on a full half-inch of rubber coated ebonite.
Also, I've found quite a bit of...debris tends to collect between the rubber bit and the mouthpiece.
In answer to your first question, I believe the softy bit is designed to sit flush on the mouthpiece. Personally, I found the bits to be much more comfortable when I cut off the thicker rubber ridge and just used flat rubber section.

Reactions: dcicero

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
That rubber you put in your mouth will make you impotent. Real pipe smokers never use them and we put teeth marks in our stems. Also the pipe Gods will consider you a blasphemer and make all your tobacco taste like shit.

May 31, 2012
That rubber you put in your mouth will make you impotent. Real pipe smokers never use them and we put teeth marks in our stems. Also the pipe Gods will consider you a blasphemer and make all your tobacco taste like shit.
+1
:puffy:

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Ok, so they'll improve the taste of Lakelands. Good to know! I quit using them because they do get pretty disgusting pretty quickly, but when I did use them I also cut off the ridge part.

mrbigglesworth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2015
Winston Salem, NC
Careful with the rubber bits if you are a heavy clencher. The proprioceptive nerve response is dulled thereby allowing you to actually clench much harder than you would on a solid bit. The rubber will save the pipe at the possible expense of a sore TMJ.

This is very interesting and something I was not aware of.

For awhile, anytime I had a pipe in my mouth, I would have an insatiable desire to chew. I broke a couple stems by biting too hard. I hated the rubber tips at first, but started putting them on and letting myself chew through them, stopping at the stem. I've pretty much trained myself to stop chewing altogether, though I still find myself gnawing from time to time. I know, I'm :crazy:.

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
I recently purchased half a dozen. I bought them for my new pipes. However, the diameter is so huge that it insights a, rather embarassing, gag reflex after a time. So, for me, it does protect the stem, as I do prefer to clench. However, I will choose to simply clench the actual stem and not use them.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've tried softies. I think for brittle and/or chip-prone teeth, they may help, whatever the other hazards may be. For MM cob pipes with their standard plastic stems, they keep the stems from being chewed through. They seem chewy and distracting to me, like having padded handles on table ware, just not as appetizing. MM cobs now have some models with acrylic stems, which wear well, and Forever stems provide replacements in acrylic in an array of colors and shapes, cut to a desired length (up to a certain length) that add quality and style, as long as you prefer your cobs without filters. I don't know about the hormonal effects of softies, not using them much. I can sympathize with the dental consideration, having lost signficant chunks of enamel out of two teeth within a few months last year -- but not with my pipe clenching teeth per se, though some would say the pressure might reach other teeth in the jaw. I have finally gnawed a little groove in one of my favorite older pipe's stem, but I do prefer smoking my pipes without softies.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I use them on all my pipes (I'm a clencher). I mostly smoke at home and I don't wear my dentures and the softie bits help me grip the bits better. I place the softie bit just past the edge of the bit.

Reactions: Gavrin

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
+1

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I use softy bits on all my pipes except my corn cobs. I like them as I like to clinch my pipes as well. As for the placement of them I butt them up against the lip of the stem, and not over the top of the lip. They fit better that way in my opinion.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
hahaha-024.gif

Thanks Harris, I just blew coffee through my nose! :lol:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I used to use them, now I hang my pipes more from my front teeth than actually clench, and gave up the softys.

sjfine

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 4, 2012
I also used them in the beginning, but soon grew out of them.
I didn't want to become impotent, or a blasphemer. And I was tired of my tobaccos tasting like poo.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
chasing, glad I could be of service.
So all you guys who use them wear a rubber for sex even though you are married and don't have to. That is what using softee bits equates too.

Status
Not open for further replies.