PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
ssavarimuthu,
To each his own. But I believe you will find clenching more enjoyable with one.
Returning to smoking later in life, I use them having spent many many pipes worth of repairs to my teeth.
Softy appliances come in two sizes (9mm and one smaller) are available in black as well as a semi-opaque white and are available on e-bay at very affordable prices. I put them on just behind the button. I chew through them due to sharp teeth at some point and replace them as I do so.
Speaking with a dentist might change ones negative viewpoint about using them if you are a clencher. I have had no problem over the past 5 years in using them. I actually have experienced no problems with TMJ. I do not smoke all day long (3-4 bowls at most) and that might make a difference with TMJ. At 25 I lost a tooth due to clenching, I was not aware of softy bits. That was when I went to cigarettes full time. My dentist said the blood supply had been cut off due to clenching and the tooth had died. I woke up in the middle of the night with it banging like crazy. He opened the the tooth and medicated it, it did not work and he pulled the tooth. That probably would not be the protocol a dentist would use today. Having said that, I cannot believe a bare stem being clenched would ever be better on the blood circulation in the roots of teeth. It is another reason not to hold your pipe in the same place all the time. :oops:
I keep 30 or 40 in each size on hand. When I give a pipe a deep clean I remove them and clean the entire stem. They do not have any noticeable amount of residue under them. Might depend on your PH.
Pooh? What have you been eating :mrgreen: They are not latex and have no flavor, that I have encountered. Can you taste your pipe stem?

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
Not a fan at all, I clench almost all the time and at times, depending what I'm doing, I clench really hard.... these softy bits add way to much circumference to the bit. My pipes have teeth marks, me personally I don't care.
Besides, I am not a fan of having largely circumference items in my mouth... but you all carry one, I pass no judgements! :P

jdhayes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 15, 2016
I like them, I place them flush with the end of the stem. I have freakishly hard teeth though. My teeth verses a 60-70 year old stem will win every time and they ain't making any more of those old pipes. I enjoy my pipes. I feel if I am destroying them to the point that I can't pass them on one day without significant repairs then it takes the enjoyment out of it a little for me.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
I have freakishly hard teeth though
article-2751414-214195AD00000578-287_634x419.jpg

May 31, 2012
I started out with softy bits just because the pipe stem felt so strange,

and they did help to an extent for me to become acclimated for clenching.
I modified mine by sanding them down because they are way too thick.
There used to be a fine gent who posted here more regularly and he came up with the best solution I've yet seen in regards to rubber bits...
...pay special attention to the posts by Kasmir and you'll see his technique,

both cheaper and more aesthetically pleasing imo:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/pipe-bits
See also:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/i-want-to-thank-kashmir-for-great-advice
kashmir.jpg

I miss Kashmir's presence here.

:!:

Status
Not open for further replies.