PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
From a longstanding prejudice I don't smoke much latakia. When I started I smoked it regularly, and in periods since, but somehow latakia always gets pushed aside and falls away even though I have latakia blends I like. I keep trying and recently got some Sillem's Commodore Flake, which is delicious. I keep hearing things at White Night and sure I'll bite sometime soon.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I tried some of his baby's Bottom match last week at our club meeting and everyone thought it was better than the new Dunhill BB1938.
I have to agree with this, partially. The topping is too strong on the match; in BB1938, the Latakia overwhelms everything else and makes a harsh (not mild) smoke. I think they ran into confusion differentiating it from Standard Mixture Mild and Early Morning Pipe, and that encouraged them to "make it distinctive." Still flavorful stuff.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
White Knight is a gloriously flavorful blend that I keep in regular rotation. I really, really love Magnum Opus. The first time I tasted it I was instantly transported to my first round of pipe smoking, at LSU during the early 70's before a long period of cigars before switching back three years ago. Every bowl has done the same. I wish I knew which blend Russ was trying to bring back because it has to be the same one on which I filled the air in the Greek Theater, on the parade grounds, and in various bars around campus. Oh, what a wonderful time it was. I'm glad for that time because now there is no smoking anywhere on campus, including outdoor areas which may be miles from another human being.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Ed, I'm with you!! I seriously need to try White Knight. I keep forgetting to order it, but Magnum Opus is in my top ten. It's wicked good!!! I picked up a dozen tins having never tried it, based only on what others had said. I was so relieved at the first puff. Can't wait to try it with a few years in the tin. Bet it ages brilliantly!

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
I have to agree with this, partially. The topping is too strong on the match
Just for the record, there's no top dressing applied to Match BB1938. There's a standard casing, but without a signature flavor.
I wish I knew which blend Russ was trying to bring back...
What I recreated was my own personal blend from the seventies. I used to start with Balkan Sobranie Original Smoking Mixture and would add extra Yenidje to it. I'd finish it off with a bit of Perique. I smoked that blend a lot until Sobranie changed during the eighties.
Russ

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
jpmcwjr, sorry it took me so long...I hadn't seen your comment...of course, when I bought mine it was on sale:
World Balkan Sasieni
It comes in a bag, not the tub they're showing on the web page. Read the print. Great stuff!

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
I missed this discussion when it came around the first time but I am glad it has resurfaced! I have just recently found myself enjoying a couple of balkan blends I have on hand and now I have a couple more to try!

trumpetboy

Lurker
Jun 15, 2011
There are some very favorable reviews of Russ' BSOSM Match available on Pipes and Cigars--some say it's closer to the Balkan Sobranie of the '70's that we love to remember. I don't know if it's the same as his White Knight---anyone tried both?

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
The BSOSM match has some substitutions to keep the cost of materials down, but similar in most ways.
Russ

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
I have an unopened White Knight tin in my cellar, and I might open it now that I've read your review as I have never tried it before.

Status
Not open for further replies.