PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
More a rum and Scotch fan myself, but do like Jefferson's Ocean Aged At Sea bourbon.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
My wife is a big rum fan we have plenty of kracken in our bar. Scotch is something I haven't really ventured into yet.
Always have Kraken around, current favorite is Plantation but was lucky enough to put away a few bottles of Oronoco before it was discontinued. Laphroaig is a great Scotch to get you started!

elessar

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2019
I kind of switch between Scotch and Bourbon, leaning towards Scotch. The last interesting Bourbon I tried was Oppidan Smoke + Sea. Really nice stuff and I think just a touch of water really opens it up. Four Roses is another go to for a cheaper offering but I usually have a bottle of Evan Williams on hand as I think it is tough to beat for the price. I second chasingembers on the Laphroaig, it is great stuff. Keep in mind it is a peated Islay Scotch so it may be a bit of a slap in the face coming from Bourbon, but SO good. The Glenlivet Nadurra might also be a Scotch to try coming from Bourbon.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I'm saving up to go get my whiskey sommelier certifications in the next year. I love all the Whisk(e)y. Jefferson's Ocean is great, I loved voyage 14 specifically. I'm also a big fan of smokey scotch, Lagavulin, Ardbeg, Laphroaig ect. but I wouldn't recommend those right away to someone who enjoys bourbon, they're typically disgusting if you don't expect what you're getting into. 4 Roses single barrel is one of the best bourbons you can get off the shelf, price included, in my opinion. Angels envy is also excellent if you want to splurge and try something different (its finished in a port wine cask).

Chasing Embers, Plantation is great isnt it?

Reactions: scottygod

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Bourbon crew checking in. Also +1 for Buffalo Trace. Right now in my liquor cabinet bourbon-wise, I've got Buffalo Trace, Elijah Craig, and Michter's. The Michter's was a gift, and despite reports of it being overrated, I think it's very good. Buffalo Trace has been my go-to for years, but I'm starting to favor Elijah Craig.

I'm also a Scotch guy - especially Islay. I've got a bottle of Laphroaig right now. Also really like basic Speysides like Glenlivet. My favorite to date is Talisker 10, which is moderately peaty and a bit briney. Not sure it qualifies as an Islay, but it's similar. If scotch was cheaper, I'd probably drink a lot less bourbon.

elessar

Apr 24, 2019
Talisker is another good one. It is distilled on the Isle of Skye, so not technically an Islay Scotch but similar in character. I would also recommend the Talisker Storm which has drastically dropped in price since it's initial release. If you wanted to start with a peated Islay Scotch Bowmore might be a good place to start as well.

Reactions: lawdawg

skydog

Jun 27, 2017
I was always a bourbon drinker but got into peated scotch heavily a few years ago. I've just recently came out of that rabbit hole and have been enjoying some bourbons again but I still prefer Laphroaig over pretty much everything. After drinking scotch for a while I found coming back to bourbon it seemed overly oaky and that led me to trying more rye whiskies. Really you can't go wrong with any of it, just depends on my mood. I'll always keep a bottle of Wild Turkey 101 on the shelf though.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I kind of burned myself out on bourbon about 8 years ago. I go for an Irish or Scotch more frequently now because I know less about them.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I kind of burned myself out on bourbon about 8 years ago. I go for an Irish or Scotch more frequently now because I know less about them.

I quickly got tired of knowing things about bourbon, and same goes for scotch and tobacco.

I can tell whether a bourbon is old, young, or in the middle in a blind taste test. I can also tell whether a given bourbon was heavier than average on rye, or is made with a wheated mashbill. I can also taste similar nuances in tobacco. The bottom line is that I don't really care about any of that, and for the most part I prefer drinks and smokes that are straight forward and reliably good, though I do get the occasional desire for something more nuanced.

In summary, getting too academic about whisk(e)y and tobacco tends hamper my enjoyment of both, and I'm often just as happy with something basic and good, although it may not be exciting or refined.

tkcolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Granby, CO
It changes for me. My two current go-to's are Weller Reserve (wheated whiskey) and Laphroaig 10. Weller will drop down the list, because it's expensive now

Other scotches I love: Lagavulin 16, Bunnahabhain 12 and Ardbeg 10.
Bourbons I love: Four Roses SB, Eagle Rare, and AD Laws 4 grain Bourbon.

There are a billion whiskeys I have not yet tried, but I am looking forward to it.

Reactions: lawdawg

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
+1 for Eagle Rare. Probably the best bang for your buck bourbon around. Eagle Rare is literally just the better barrels of Buffalo Trace, which I love as well.

rogers

Mar 9, 2012
Another fan of Four Roses SB here. I'm also quite fond of Noah's Mill. Good stuff I tell you what.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I love bourbon. Some favorites include Woodford Reserve Double Oaked Single Barrel, Elmer T. Lee, Willet Family Pot Still Reserve, Blanton's, Eagle Rare, Orphan Barrel Rhetoric, Michter's, and of course Pappy Van Winkle when appropriate (almost never).

Big scotch fan too, but there are too many favorites to list without some specificity, at least by region, hahaha.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I'm not a huge bourbon fanatic but am fortunate to have a solid source from a KY Liquor Store for cask select. The guys that go to the Distillery to make the selections know what they're doing. Should be getting some Weller Cask Select in early October along with a few others.

litup

Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
I was afraid to admit my fondness for Eagle Rare for fear of judgement but since I see others have mentioned it, I'll admit to liking it. And I totally agree that the price to value ratio is great.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
So who here likes burbon [sic]

I do. Assuming Bourbon.

Last edited:

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I'm not a huge bourbon fanatic but am fortunate to have a solid source from a KY Liquor Store for cask select. The guys that go to the Distillery to make the selections know what they're doing. Should be getting some Weller Cask Select in early October along with a few others.

I love that. Getting store-selected single barrels is fun, though it can be a crap shoot unless you trust your store! The liquor store where I usually shop selects barrels of Buffalo Trace and they do an awesome job, so I often have a bottle of Buffalo Trace single barrel in my cabinet. Part of the fun is to see how different they can be from barrel to barrel. The last batch they had obviously had quite a bit of age in the barrel, though the new one is more balanced. All part of the fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.