PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I am mostly a rum guy, now I have t check out plantation as it was mentioned above. However, I am getting intrigued by whiskey. Until now I have had a visceral negative reaction to even smelling whiskey. But I’ve tried sipping a few and a couple of old fashions and I’m starting to dig it a little. I tried something really good, Basil Hayden’s Caribbean Dark Rye, a whiskey aged in rum barrels. Really good stuff.

Depends on the definition of what is genuine absinthe... My understanding is

1. High alcohol content
  2. Fennel seed flavor- Fennel seed is a spice which adds a coolness to any drink. 3. The presence of esters (I think) which makes the drink go cloudy when water is added

Based on my definition above, it is avail in US

I think the myth around absinthe started because it is uniquely cool and smooth despite such a heavy alcohol content. It is easy to overdose on alcohol and get drunk very fast as you don’t feel the alcohol

Genuine absinthe is obtainable in the states?

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Depends on the definition of what is genuine absinthe... My understanding is

1. High alcohol content
  2. Fennel seed flavor- Fennel seed is a spice which adds a coolness to any drink. 3. The presence of esters (I think) which makes the drink go cloudy when water is added

Based on my definition above, it is avail in US

I think the myth around absinthe started because it is uniquely cool and smooth despite such a heavy alcohol content. It is easy to overdose on alcohol and get drunk very fast as you don’t feel the alcohol
I have had "real" absinthe with wormwood. It was a different high than alcohol or the usual drugs that are associated with being high. I thought it was banned in the USA.... Will Google.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I have had "real" absinthe with wormwood. It was a different high than alcohol or the usual drugs that are associated with being high. I thought it was banned in the USA.... Will Google.
Stay away from Eastern European Absinthe and false marketing info as to what Absinthe is. Jade Liquor’s is the World’s Leading maker of Absinthe. But there are wonderful offerings in the US. Pacifique Absinthe being one US Premium absinthes on the market.

Reactions: aquadoc

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Stay away from Eastern European Absinthe and false marketing info as to what Absinthe is. Jade Liquor’s is the World’s Leading maker of Absinthe. But there are wonderful offerings in the US. Pacifique Absinthe being one US Premium absinthes on the market.
I have not tried any Absinthes here in the states. My only experience was in Spain.

scottygod

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2013
Arizona
www.etsy.com
I'm happy to see all the love Eagle Rare is getting. At about $35 that's an expensive bottle for me. Also +1 for Elijah Craig, Angel's Envy and Wild Turkey 101. Evan Williams black label might be the best value in whiskey. It's just fine neat and mixes like a champ.

subsalac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 9, 2018
Total bourbon noob here, but my favorite cheap bourbon is Four Roses yellow. Give it a try if you've never had it, It's kind of like the "Jameson" of bourbon in it's character(clearly not in its status), you know how many people would recommend Jameson to someone who who has never tried whiskey before, and it's so easy going that it's a no brainer? I feel Four Roses Yellow is much like that, it's just so... easy going.

k9shag

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2012
North Carolina
Is Four Roses having a resurgence? (just saw an ad for them somewhere) Or have they always been around? I remember that brand as the favorite of Fast Eddy Felson.

Their Small Batch and Single Barrel stuff has been popular for years constantly receiving top ratings. With the bourbon boom that last few years there have just been other names consumers talked about and chased. However in most cases Four Roses has been available. I'm sure it will become more scarce as the youngsters who chase whats popular buy it up.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
I used to drink the basic Four Roses bourbon while watching Beavis and Butthead when I was in university. I haven’t had any bourbon for years, but feel like a glass right now.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
I always have a bottle of Old No. 7 on hand.
I don’t care what you or JD say; it’s bourbon.

Old Forester makes a very good bourbon.
Just yesterday I picked up a bottle of Peerless; I haven’t tried it yet but I that it is good.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Once upon a time I tried blending tobacco. My star was called Honey Bourbon Black and Gold. It had some great reviews when I threw some samples to members.

Maybe will try another stab at it in the future.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Looks like Bourbon is a lot like tobacco, that is, it boils down to personal taste and to some degree, thickness of wallet. I only drink bourbon from time to time, I keep what I have around more for visiting friends than my own needs. I will say this though. Earlier this year, I was visiting a friend who has an incredible collection of rare and high end bourbons. He put together a blind taste testing for myself and the other guest. The one bourbon I said stood out above all the rest was some of the rarer Pappy's. At the same time, among some incredibly expensive bourbons, my second tier of favorites was a Russell's Reserve Cask Select that sold for around $65. So $ value did not correlate to favorites, at least for me.

My palate for bourdon is so amateur, I'm probably about as happy with some Gentleman Jack and Ginger Ale as anything else. I personally find Scotch easier to drink, Johnny Walker Black would most often be my choice if I were going to drink any of it at all. If no one else is involved, my choice is brewed tea or the occasional Ginger Ale.

Reactions: Bengel

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Not much of a drinker -- not daily, sometimes not even weekly. However, when I feel the yin for something beyond wine or beer, bourbon on the rocks is good. A bottle of good bourbon can last for years around here. The sedation tends to set in before the jolly mood ever arrives, so a drink isn't a social lubricant for me. What a killjoy! I've had some single malt Scotch that was great, and some truly fine mellow bourbons, despite all that.

Status
Not open for further replies.