PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
So I'm thinking I shouldn't show pics of every pipe; maybe from now on every 3rd pipe or so.

Anyway, a few pics of this Poker sitter that is half smooth and some percentage rusticated. The smooth part on the bottom with my stamp is on purpose. I wanted it to look like it was part of a piece of bark, not round or square.

A few things I wanted to get back to and totally forgot about and decided to leave was the total straightness flowing from stummel into the stem to the button. I really like the color combo on this, well my wife does, I can't really see them both but she says if flows nicely and from the stem into the stummel color wise. I
byG2Mxp.jpg

1UO52rJ.jpg

N242Urx.jpg

QCOPvcb.jpg

fdJWk81.jpg

The AB got a bit sloppy; I slipped a bit rocking it from side to side.

PTKAKn4.jpg

lMe8WI3.jpg

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Have'nt seen others. Must of missed some. HELL NO keep the pictures coming. It's unique an a beauty. :clap:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Looks like an old stump with a bit of life left in it. I love that! Very organic look, and the stamp placement is very clever. The contrast of the rustication to the smooth has a natural feel to it. Beautiful piece Chris! :clap:

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Please do keep the pics coming if you have time.
Beautiful pipe, I like sitters. I too am a sitter.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
The colors and textures are wonderful.

Describing this effort further, however, has me stumped.

unique?

organic?

you forgot? I think what we have heah is a not so passive resistance.

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
I LIKEY THAT PIPEY!
Looks like it was carved from a branch section. Rustication looks top notch, and especially like the way you sanded down all the rough, pointy peaks that were left behind from the carving burrs. Nice briar treatment. Great color. The carved portion reminds me of a walnut shell.
Good work....show us more.
Frank

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like the rustication and the smooth area on the front of the bowl, and the stem. I find the bulge at the base of the shank a little disconcerting, but others seem to like the naturalness of that, like a stump. I think people always enjoy seeing what our carvers do, so don't be shy.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Ya gotta love pokers because they are nearly all sitters too. That is so convenient when you need to put a lit pipe down.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Thanks folks for all the comments.
Mike as you know, I always appreciate your comments.

If I may take license

I think 'organic' means it was made as a creative process to flow with the medium, in this case the briar in order to take on the characteristics of a piece of wood that has had some aging as it has lain on the ground or still clinging to a branch rather than a mechanical process used to make a carburetor or a P&ID (Piping & Instrumentation Drawing) or say a piping isometric drawing. They have a precise, linear flow that is rigid in format and drafting. There is no variation.

Unique I think means that (hopefully) the creation bears it's creators own unique take and projection of ideas.

I at least try to create something 'unique' in each piece of briar.

I used the word 'forgot' because I loose all track and sense of time often when I'm in the shop and when I recognize the, "Oh, I have to go back to that and correct that," I move on to something else and forget. In this case I had spent a lot of time on this piece and once I looked up I had forgotten to go back and spend a bit more time with my straight edge keeping my shank/stem lines straight.

But as you well know, I appreciate your comments and technical knowledge but at times what you say makes me think that it is an enigma wrapped in a riddle. Or is that a riddle wrapped in an enigma? So I have absolutely no idea what you mean by this statement:

I think what we have heah is a not so passive resistance. Please feel free to clarify if you wish. If not I will have to consult my crystals and see if they can shed some light on your comment.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
You just recently told us all about 'finding' the straight line, and then you forget to do that step,

a step I would suggest, is rather basic.

I know you and realize that independence of design is your sacred right, and if you had said it was an intentional shank belly, nobody would have alluded to your resistance.
you gotta admit, shank belly is pretty good?

jeffro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2017
For some reason I cannot see the photos of said pipe in the first post, any ideas. I am very curious what the pipe looks like :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.