So THAT'S What Real Tobacco Tastes Like....

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Throughout the years, I have been very faithful to one specific blend as most of you know. Carter Hall. I have gotten many comments regarding this. Some good, some bad.
"You gotta try some real tobacco"
I thought for a while that I could only smoke this blend. Tried many other kinds, with only 2 real successes. Old dark fired (a rare treat) and Aged Burley Flake.
Well then I heard about MacBarens Burley Flake, and had to give it a try.

The first bowl was amazing. Perfect moisture, stayed lit, packed easily. I didn't want it to end. I haven't smoked anything else in about two weeks now.
I attempted to smoke one bowl of Carter Hall, since trying this blend, and wow. Now I get it. I was thoroughly disappointed. It burned hot, fast, and tasted like chemicals. Something I had become immune to over the years. I don't even know if I'll ever go back to it...
Real tobacco.
So after getting through 3/4 of my first tin of this pure gold, I received this in the mail .
IMG-20190220-204000.jpg

IMG-20190220-212342.jpg

I feel like a whole new person. :puffy:

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
I just ordered this 12 days ago! Going to be delivered soon!
Reviews were great and, reading this, I'm even more excited!
Could you tell us more about what it tastes like?

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Oh man...I'm terrible at actual reviews.
But I suppose if I had to describe it, I would say, like drinking chocolate flavored coffee, while eating salted peanuts.
But ymmv. I have a terrible sense of smell and taste.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
I would say, like drinking chocolate flavored coffee, while eating salted peanuts.
That sounds delicious!
Irish Flake's taste isn't so different from that description in my opinion. But well, I have a bad sense of smell and taste too, so... :)

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Bought two pounds of it when it released, and indeed it is a good one. As good as ABF. My collection is going the other direction. After decades of smoking "boutique" blends, I've often found myself preferring and buying more OTCs over the past couple of years.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I LOVE the stuff!!! It quickly moved up to top 5 in my cellar. Welcome to the club.
F6N10S2.jpg

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
After decades of smoking "boutique" blends, I've often found myself preferring and buying more OTCs over the past couple of years.
I've come to realize that in almost all aspects of my life, I'm a middle-brow guy. Which makes pipe smoking awesome. C&D and GL Pease and Mac Baren really tickle my fancy without having to search for unobtanium.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I like Carter Hall in the same way that I like Budweiser - cheap, readily available, and hits the spot if you want something simple and straight forward. It's not an aged Virginia, a complex English, a top shelf scotch, or a fine wine, all of which should be enjoyed with some degree of contemplation. However, when I'm busy engaged in some other activity other than specifically enjoying my pipe and my beverage, Carter Hall and a Budweiser can provide plenty of enjoyment.
OP, you might want to try some of the various popular Virginia tobaccos. Virginias are not dissimilar from burley in that they simply taste like tobacco, though the flavor profile is different than burley.

Status
Not open for further replies.