So THAT'S What Real Tobacco Tastes Like....

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
Looks amazing, I need to get a tin, the only HH line I have is the Bold Kentucky, and I love it, my go to when I want an easy load and light nic bomb tobacco after a few drinks.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
That's the problem, I can't do Virginia's. Tried many different kinds, and my mouth just won't let me.
That's too bad! Seems to be a relatively common issue. Anyhow, I agree with you and everyone else in here that HH Burley Flake is a great tobacco.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
didi, have you ever tried Capstan Blue Flake? To my tastes it has zero bite and has some great flavors. I smoke it right out of the tin with no drying time.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
There's something both glorious and vaguely sad about this thread.
:wink: -Congrats on the epiphany.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Yeah man, in a sense you would have been better off financially just sticking with Carter Hall. It’s amazing to see you change your mind about Carter Hall as you were such an advocate of the stuff, though, once you start smoking better quality tobacco it’s very hard to go back to the cheap otc stuff. I have tried to revisit CH over the years and I just can’t get past the weird chemical taste that I get from it, however, I really do enjoy Lane Limited’s Ready Rubbed, the flavor reminds me of a RR Wessex Burley Flake. Anyway, I’ve got nothing against otc blends, if that’s your thing than more power to ya. I happen to love a lot of the British otc blends but they taste of much higher quality than the American otc blends to me and stuff like Condor and St. Bruno are up there with any of the other “luxury” blends in my opinion, in fact, I think they are better but I’m biased as those are some of my favorite blends.

bluegrasspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2017
I am going to have to give this one a shot, now should I go straight for the whole box without trying it first? :lol:

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Yeah, you can save a ton smoking Carter Hall. $28 for 14 ounces which means it is around $31 per pound. You can buy a pound of Mac Baren HH Burley Flake for $64 and if you watch for sales, can get it as low as $50 or so. So if you smoke 1 lb per month, you save a whopping $20 per month, $240 per year.
Carter Hall is okay. If that's all I had to smoke, I wouldn't quit, I would smoke Carter Hall and I'm sure, would enjoy it. If I was starving or even very hungry, I'd wolf down a Spam or bologna sandwich as well. I don't think I've eaten Spam or bologna for over 40 years, I hope that string continues until the day I die. Kind of feel the same way about Carter Hall.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Good stuff! HERE'S my very detailed review from a few months ago.
I smoke it right out of the tin...
Harris, it's even better in a pipe! :nana:
For the record, I DO enjoy the occasional CH in the cob, mainly due to you, didimauw.
jay-roger.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.