So, in Light of the Recent Esoterica Squall.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Is it safe to assume that any future shipments of Esoterica products ,that most retailers only get the 8oz bags in stock? Have they said bully to the tins? Seems like most everyone just gobbles the 1/2 pounders up within hours, so they think, "what's the point of ordering the tins?"

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I have no idea, from a business perspective it would make more sense to only release the tins, as 50 grams going for roughly 10$ minimum that's 40$ at the least vs. an 8 ounce bag for under 30$. Either way I'm not complaining about the 8 ounce bags, but basically if you see it in stock, buy it, as it will be gone quickly.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
It occurred to me that Germain might not be bothering with much in the way of tinning. Why do it? It's an extra step, extra cost, and their stuff is going to sell immediately regardless.

carytobacco

Can't Leave
Nov 23, 2012
Cary, NC
It totally depends on what the shipment to the distributor contains. This time around there weren't any tins at all, whereas last time it was most tins with a few bags here and there. In fact, I don't think there's ever been a time where we got both tins and bags, especially in the harder to get stuff like Penzance or Stonehaven.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
It occurred to me that Germain might not be bothering with much in the way of tinning. Why do it? It's an extra step, extra cost, and their stuff is going to sell immediately regardless.
Yeah..that makes sense.

peter70

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2013
The tins are IMO going mainly to Europe. There is not a large market for bulk tobaccos in Europe, as taxes and regulations make them overly expensive. 8oz would be a tremendous amount of tobacco in Europe. Most tobaccos are sold in 50 or 40g pouches or tins. Some blends are available in 100g tins and Dan Pipe sells up to 500g packs, but most Orlik or MacBaren blends are only avaialble in 40/50/100g packs.

Dec 24, 2012
My understanding is that the Esoterica line is not sold in Europe. I also understand that Arrango now owns the line and contracts with JFG to do the blending.

peter70

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2013
The Esoterica blends are sold in Europe under the Germain's brand. Different names, same blends.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
I also understand that Arrango now owns the line and contracts with JFG to do the blending.
Esoterica was originally the brainchild of some guy, maybe named Steve something, at the Piedmont Tobacconist in Berkeley, CA. Then he sold it to Mike Butera in Texas. Did it go anywhere else before Arrango acquired it?

Status
Not open for further replies.