So I Tried The Peterson (Dunhill) Deluxe Navy Rolls....

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
My oldest tin of Escudo is 2001. I bought it in some b/m in R,I and didn't really have any plans on aging it until years ago when I found it rummaging through a container of older tins.

Jesse who would have made this tin back then? All I know about Escudo and Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls is they both taste really nicely when I get 8 years plus on them. I have no reference point so when I smoke an aged tin of one of these blends, they taste great to me and I don't feel like I am missing anything as I have no other point of reference.

I do have a good sized batch of 2002 Solani 633. When I compare it to 2012 633 there is a big difference. The 2002 is really peppery, way more than the 2012 . I think that there is just so much they can do with keeping a blend the same. It should be that the 2002 633 is creamier and smoother, but the 2002 is a pepper bomb which is kind of weird.

Reactions: JOHN72

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
My oldest tin of Escudo is 2001. I bought it in some b/m in R,I and didn't really have any plans on aging it until years ago when I found it rummaging through a container of older tins.

Jesse who would have made this tin back then? All I know about Escudo and Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls is they both taste really nicely when I get 8 years plus on them. I have no reference point so when I smoke an aged tin of one of these blends, they taste great to me and I don't feel like I am missing anything as I have no other point of reference.

I do have a good sized batch of 2002 Solani 633. When I compare it to 2012 633 there is a big difference. The 2002 is really peppery, way more than the 2012 . I think that there is just so much they can do with keeping a blend the same. It should be that the 2002 633 is creamier and smoother, but the 2002 is a pepper bomb which is kind of weird.
2001 would be Orlik under license from A&C Petersen, prior to its being taken over by STG. IIRC, Orlik would have been using the same pipeline as Petersen, which included the machinery Petersen bought from Gallaher, who had bought Copes in 1952.

Reactions: mso489

niblicck

Can't Leave
Oct 7, 2020
Alabama
I opened a tin of the Peterson's DNR's about 5 months ago and smoked through it pretty quickly. I added 8 more tins to my inventory so I must have really like it.

YoungButter

Might Stick Around
Jun 19, 2021
I don't love Escudo as much as I did when I first tried it ten or so years ago. I'm unsure whether that's me, or the tobacco.

I slept on Navy Rolls until recently and I was very into it as well, especially compared to Escudo or Luxury Bullseye. I'm not entirely sure why. I think that it has something to do with the Virginias used, it feels like it has a more nuanced flavor. More reds maybe?

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I like DNR because it has that sort of “stewed prunes and figs” thing going on with the Perique. That said, I think I like Sutliff Elizabethan Match even more.

Status
Not open for further replies.