PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
My order of tins came from the second round of Cabbie's Mixture after the initial release. The first round seemed to be fine, in fact delicious which is what prompted me to place a sizable order. I had heard various mentions of something odd in this batch. When I stuck my nose in the tin, something was definitely not typical of a straight Va/Per aroma. Hmm, what is that, kinda minty, it smells like toothpaste! I set it out to dry and when I returned a couple hours later the toothpaste had dissipated. I haven't smoked it yet, but if it still tastes off in the least bit, I'll be corresponding with SP customer service. I think the fears of cross contamination now that SG has remerged with GH have validity. The first batch I believe was produced pre-merger, and subsequent batches post-merger. Arg! I was so excited for this tobacco too!

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Interesting. I have a tin i churned right through and then ordered more. My order arrived a little over a month ago and i opened one of those tins yesterday and i didn't encounter any off smells or anything. I have 10 other tins that I'm now wondering about though. Btw, the tin I opened yesterday smoked just fine after a little drying.

kiel

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2016
The sample I smoked was more than enough to convince me to buy a tin. I haven't opened it yet, but pretty sure it is from the same batch as the sample. I really hope that inconsistencies like this don't become the new normal at the SG/GH factory.
I hope others can chime in.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
If you'd never have opened that tin... you could've gone through life believing that if the rest of your world collapsed all around you, at the very least, you'd have that tasty tobacco stuck away. Now you have nothing. I hope you're happy.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
With Lakelands, the ghost is part of the adventure, apparently, and it only makes their admirers more ardent. Usually, I hear, only the aromatics have the flavoring, but some have reported discovering the ghost in non-aro blends.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
I know the tins i had when it was first released had no lakelands aroma. It was just the va per aroma. Just finished off a tin the other day. I really enjoy it, but am leery of purchasing more now.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I bought a tin from SP.com in mid-February. It definitely carries a Lakeland scent; but it's more like a very faint ghosting. For a reference, the Lakeland scent is somewhat weaker than in Peterson's Hyde Park -- which isn't much. I find it entirely plausible that the scent was transferred via unclean processing equipment. Too bad, because Cabbie's is a really good blend. Heck, I may even buy more despite the contamination.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
I bought a tin last year after its introduction. I liked it so well that I went thru that tin like Sherman went thru Atlanta and re-ordered more.
The second tin was different. Like Cortez said, the scent certainly isn't up front but, in that tin, it was noticeable and (to me) off-putting.

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
I contacted them through the GH website email address. Let's see what they have to say about it.
To whom it may concern,
      I am experiencing an issue with Cabbie's Mixture.  I originally tried the first batch you made of this tobacco.   The aroma of the tobacco in the tin was also quite nice, natural tobacco aroma.  I have heard of people experiencing variations in quality in more recent batches.  I purchased a number of tins from Smokingpipes.com last year. I recently opened up one of my tins and it smells like toothpaste.  It doesn't smell like tobacco at all, or anything like what I smelled from the first batch.  Members of the community are concerned that there may be some contamination from the flavors that Gawith Hoggarth uses, now that the Samuel Gawith tobaccos are produced in the same facility.  Have you had any other complaints in regards to this matter?  Is there a possibility of this contamination happening?  Why would my tin have a strong minty sweet aroma?
Regards,
Sam Weeks
Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I've just ordered more. When I open a tin I'll comment. I like Lakelands so no big deal, but I will not smoke it in the Briar i used through the first tin. I'll have to break out the rope pipe.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Sounds like overspray to me. I know they hose down the entire plant in whatever that Lakeland/HIV stuff is, but maybe they got some wintermint in the spray as well...

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I just popped open a tin of Cabbies last week and it's pretty freakin' awesome! Now I gotta stock this one deep, too. I don't get any Lakeland vibe nor do I get a minty smell, just an amazing straight up VaPer. I'm really curious what their response will be. Did you try out another tin?

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
I have not tried another tin, not received any response from them. I'm bringing it to pipe club this week and we'll get a group opinion on it. I still haven't as of yet brought myself to smoke it.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
I just popped open a tin of Cabbies last week and it's pretty freakin' awesome! Now I gotta stock this one deep, too. I don't get any Lakeland vibe nor do I get a minty smell, just an amazing straight up VaPer. I'm really curious what their response will be. Did you try out another tin?
Really? I thought it was bland and uninspiring. Not bad, just blah. I'm sticking it in a jar to see if it helps the taste at all.

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
I actually did receive a response from them, it went to my junk folder. They very simply asked me to send the contents to them. Maybe after pipe club tomorrow I will mail it over with a letter.

Status
Not open for further replies.