PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Really? I thought it was bland and uninspiring. Not bad, just blah. I'm sticking it in a jar to see if it helps the taste at all.

Really! I love it. Maybe it's just not for you. It definitely doesn't taste bland to me.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I'm wondering what's become of this?? I smoked 4 amazing tins of Cabbies Mixture and bought 20 more for the cellar and low and behold the first one I opened up was a pale comparison of the 4 tins I went through within a months time. I don't necessarily get any toothpaste Note but it's definitely got some of the GH&Co Lakeland essence that comes through in the smoke and if that was all I could actually live with that but this tin is just not good at all. The depth that I got in the 4 previous tins is gone and it's just a flat, boring smoke. This really worries me since I had invested so much money for a large lot of these tins. I'm hoping that maybe it's just a young tin and it will benefit from maturing for 6 months or so. I plan on opening a new tin here soon so I'll post my thoughts on that one. I'm telling you, this is crying shame because when Cabbies Mixture is good, it's divine, when it's bad it's enough to bring a tear to my eye.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Unless a blender has changed the recipe or his method of manufacture, it's highly unlikely that any batch is much different, one to another. But in fact, blenders usually don't admit to such changes, and in the past Samuel Gawith has been guilty of this. For awhile around 2007, 1792 was not full-bodied. Bracken Flake was stable until about this time but then they started making something totally different, a throwback of two BF generations.
The widely reported Lakeland essence does adhere to some of the Kendal blends that are are described as not topped. I taste it on Dark

Flake and Plug from time to time, but only on the first light.
I've gone through a half-dozen new tobaccos and felt they were flat for the entire contents of a tin. But if I put the tobacco down for a few months, I often get much better results.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I haven't tasted any of the Lakeland flavor in any of the three tins I've smoked. I have found Cabbies Mixture to be one of the tastiest blends from Sam Gawith and that is a high compliment.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Decided to open another tin to compare and voila this one is back to the Canbies Mixture I know and love. Did a back between the two and it's night and day difference I can't explain it but there are definitely some inconsistencies here. I agree with Philo... when is good, it freakin EXCELLENT. Maybe the tin that I didn't like was a bit newer and didn't have as much time to mature in the tin, I dunno but I hope these inconsistencies are few and far between.

graydawn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2014
Hawky I had the same experience. I've been smoking Cabbies Mixture since it was first released then just yesterday I opened a tin I bought in March 2016. This was not Cabbies Mixture at all. No wonderful aroma and so flat tasting that I ended up throwing it in the trash. I have many other tins in the cellar. I hope that they are better.

cranseiron

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
Same here. I ordered two tins and both are just flat tasting. I was wondering what the fuss was about-- just an unlucky draw on an inconsistent blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.