PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
I've grown quite fond of my Zippo too. In fact, I'm throwing another onto my next TAD order. High polished brass this time. - Mr. Fancypants

Jan 8, 2013
The only time I've ever seen Zippo fluid explode was this one time at a party. I had been eating nachos, and beans, and enchiladas and tacos and such, and then drinking lots of beer and rum and vodka and tequila (could be the same party that became the time I hated tequila forever after). Standing up on a kitchen chair and mooning the entire crowd before letting out fart that could be heard in Vegas ( I hear Celine Dion's performance stopped for a moment as she wondered what the sound she heard was... I'm in Texas by the way) lighting my Zippo in dangerously close proximity to my buttox sent out a fire ball that was seen from the International Space Station and took the hair and eyebrows of three of my closes friends... who were of course standing too close to my butt bomb... serves them right.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
I see no reason to buy a Chinese knock off Zippo, when the real thing can be had a Walmart, brushed sliver finish, for $9.95. Or if you want a premium polished brass, they are $20.
As far as exploding, and sending out shrapnel, BS. In order for that to happen, the lighter would need a pressure chamber like a Bic or those refillable butane lighters.
Can you overfill a Zippo and get a big, 2"-3", ball of fire when you ignite it? Yes, but you quickly learn not to overfill a Zippo.

leafsmoker

Can't Leave
Oct 26, 2017
Indiana, USA
Okay back to the lighter explosion. It was a long time ago in the 80's and we were in grade school, so he was not that aware I guess at that age. I was not there. but the 2 friends had their battle scars. Garretts index,middle and ring finger were gone when I saw him after it happened. All he had left was his thumb and pinky. Crazy story I know but, maybe they were built different then, for whatever reason...I wouldn't make it up....no time for made up stories here. I do not know why he did not smell or notice the fluid, but everyone makes mistakes. I highly doubt they sued anyone. I just couldn't believe the story and well the hand with the missing fingers proved it too me.

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
I simply do not believe it was a Zippo exploded and caused such severe injury. Even recently Zippo lighters are the only lighters allowed to be carried into gas processing plants and oil & gas construction locations. Zippos don’t just explode. BIC lighters, on the other hand, are now allowed. Too many instances of the lever being depressed inside a pocket and the gas being ignited by sparks from welding or grinding operations.

leafsmoker

Can't Leave
Oct 26, 2017
Indiana, USA
Possibly if the Zippo was filled with butane? Even so, an explosion in the tank would not likely be powerful enough to create shrapnel, or even breach the casing

Now there's an idea....not sure what that guy used, possibly a mixture of urine and gasoline for all I know. I just could not believe a zippo when he told me, but i guess if you walk up to a friend with three less fingers, you would not make up a different story to your friend about your missing fingers. Still unbelieable to me.--- maybe since our scientific water abusing pipe thread is about done we can do a science experiment for this. my thoughts.lets fill that zippo with regular fluid dowse it allover the lighter, and make a fuel trail like Mc gyver and light it and see what happens..any takers...I might have to take one for the team. But now what do I do, forget the chinese and american lighters that are presently made..... I guess I have to seek out a estate Zippo lighter. Anyone own a official 80's zippo? Maybe I can find one on fleabay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thanks for the followup. So, grade school kids did something or other they shouldn't have and lost digits, and you didn't witness it. They tried to blame a Zippo, and if that had held water, surely the parents would have sued and likely gotten a large check. That on top of the improbability of a Zippo blowing up:
So, I call BS on those boys' story.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Okay, now the story makes sense. Or better said, it explains why the story makes zero sense. Chances are your friends did something really, really stupid that involved a zippo lighter but it wasn't the lighter that exploded. Perhaps it was a stick of dynamite, multiple M80 firecrackers tape together or something like that they lit with a Zippo lighter. But a Zippo lighter did not explode and blow off 3 fingers unless they somehow stuffed a stick of dynamite inside the case.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
What a load of old cobblers. A zippo never caused that. Not unless he stuffed it full of gunpowder or something like it.
Something else happened. Whether he told you or not.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I have heard stories from 3 different friends who served in Vietnam involving their Zippo lighters. One got shot but the round hit the Zippo in his pocket. He just had a bad bruise. The other two told stores about shrapnel hitting their lighters. In all the cases, the Zippo's were more damaged than they were, but they didn't blow up.
I readily admit that these were stories they told and I didn't serve in country but I have no reason to doubt their stories either.

anantaandroscoggin

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
I recall reading once or more sources that declared that a single gallon of gasoline when volatilized in the air and set off will have the blast power of a 3-stick dynamite bundle.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Now I am really wondering how the lad blew away a few fingers. A handful of cherry bombs or M-80's? Dynamite? (both have been mentioned, but what else?) Heating a CO 2 cartridge (with a Zippo!) until it exploded?
Other ideas? I somehow survived early teens with all digits and limbs intact.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I recall reading once or more sources that declared that a single gallon of gasoline when volatilized in the air and set off will have the blast power of a 3-stick dynamite bundle.
Yes, but pretty sure it has to be just the right air/vapor mix, and that usually means in an enclosed area. Same with NG, butane and propane.
Ashdigger?

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
^^^^ I can believe that, ananta. I'm certain Ash can confirm that when spilled gas goes up, it's not the liquid but the atomized vapor that's the real killer. JP-5, -8, etc., for example, are all used in aircraft carriers primarily *because* of the required high flash point due to bookoo aircraft in close proximity, munitions, etc. Avgas? Fuhgeddaboudit; that stuff (leaded in particular) is hell on wheels, literally.

Status
Not open for further replies.