PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Have you ever considered doing a piece on snuff for the radio show?

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
On a radio show that is about pipe smoking... why?

I believe there are several forum sites devoted to snuff so, in my opinion, that is where it should be kept as in; PIPES magazine. But, that's just my outlook on it. :wink:

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I don't think snuff pieces translate well to radio. :?
We talk about everything from pipes to recipes already ... and that 'snuff. 8O
Oh, it could continue ... but I won't! :mrgreen:

May 31, 2012
Fred Hanna duggup sum snuff stuff with his shindig,

http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/radio-talk-show/the-pipes-magazine-radio-show-episode-92/
I recently tried some Best SP and have a few more blends on standby, I must say that it's an exhilarating experience, an energy booster as well as a slight cognitive enhancer, as crazy as that may sound.
It's also good for sprinkling in weak baccy to boost N, as well as adding a subtle flavor.
Many of the old British pipe baccy makers had deep roots in snuff, which lead me to want to explore it because some of the traditional UK casings which I so dearly love, seem to occur nowhere else and I suspected some of the flavors/scents may have evolved from oldtimey traditional snuffmaking recipes...
Gotta love this old Sammy G snuff tin!

A3GF4E9.jpg

There are quite a few folks who use snuff with their pipes, so this should bode well here. I tried a pinch on the cherry of my pipe to boost the nic at one of our pipe club meetings. It gave me a spin or two, but I'm not sure it's for me. However, there were quite a few local guys who picked this up as a part of their pipe ritual. Apparently, the stuff (snuff) we can get here in the US is inferior to the European snuff.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Snuff seems a little off message. Not awful, but a different kettle of fish.

eightywon

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 4, 2014
I've only tried W.E. Garret & Sons- sweet mild, and scotch. I do enjoy sprinkling some on top of a bowl for a little change of pace. I think I'll have some tonight.

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
I like the medicated snuffs as well as some toasts. Never heard of sprinkling it over a bowl, but I did once, in something less than a stroke of genius, roll a cigarette out of some F&T Prince's. Took me most of the day to recover from that.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I just thought it would be an interesting topic for the show, as there are a number of pipe smokers who also snuff. I have heard a number of different topics discussed on the radio show and many of them had nothing to do with pipes. I'm not sure why snuff would be such a 'way off topic'? It's tobacco, many pipe tobacco companies manufacture it, making it well is a true art and takes great skill, many pipe smokers use it, and some even top bowls with it. There's a lot to learn from the world of snuff, a history to be told, and a current story to share. Snuff is not something to fear or marginalize, but something to embrace and celebrate.

sw0snuff3r

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2014
I think it's a good idea. I'd really be interested to hear the stories of how Samuel Gawith and Gawith and Hoggarth came to produce both pipe tobacco and snuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.