PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
So I wake up to a nice blanket of snow here in central Kentucky, and raid my cellar for my typical cold weather tobacco (anything with a good amount of latakia). Anyway, it got me to thinking what kinds of tobacco others consider to be a good cold weather smoke.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I like gaslight too. Burning Balkan Sobraine in a Weaver right now with a cup of Earl Grey.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I really enjoy a snowy night with a bowl of Bagpiper's Dream and a big glass of Warre's Warrior port. Bald Headed Teacher is my go-to lunting tobacco.

andya27

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 15, 2014
It's been a bit chilly for this time of year up here in Cleveland, too. I smoke primarily Virginias, Latakia, and Burleys - with the occasional Cavendish aromatic. But since the temps have gotten below 32 degrees, I haven't touched the aros. it's been heavier blends. I couldn't agree more with the Gaslight recommendation, unless it were the occasional change of pace with Aged Burley Flake.

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
Latakia is great in the snow, but gimme a good stout British plug in a Falcon and I'm in heaven. G&H Dark Plug, McQuaid Plug, Warrior Plug, or my new fave Revor Plug will all kick your butt in the snow.

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
or my new fave Revor Plug will all kick your butt in the snow
Please tell me about this one. Is the Gawith the same as Samuel Gawith? Or a completely different company?

adam12

May 16, 2011
Like I mentioned in the other cold-weather-smoke-thread, McClelland Wilderness ROCKS!

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
Hey, andya27-- G&H and SG are two different companies that branched off from one firm MANY years ago. They're both in or around Kendal and they both make great baccy. Their blending and flavoring style are different from each other to me. I prefer the straight Virginias of Samuel, but don't like the way they scent their flavored blends. Just the opposite with Gawith & Hoggarth-- LOVE their Lakeland scented stuff but a little bored with the straight Vas. Ymmv, of course.
Revor Plug, only available in the UK I think, is a stout mildly scented dark plug. Easy to prepare and quite cool and smooth, it is also loaded with tobacco flavor and nicotine and will sit your ass DOWN if you're not careful with it. It's flavoring is remarkable, strange, and unique. I love it!

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
We got 3" Sunday and I've been into the heavy on Latakia blends big time for the last couple of weeks. 8)
Billy Budd

DaVinci

Barbary Coast

Commonwealth

Balkan Flake

seagullplayer

Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
You guys are not gonna like this, but when its really cold out my favorite is Prince Albert.
#1 Because I am smoking in my recliner, in the house.

#2 My wife finds it "a little less offensive".
(She has almost come to the point of saying she enjoys the smell, almost) Seems both our grandfathers

enjoyed it in their day. And now that we are grandparents I guess she lets me skate by...

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
For the love of all that is, don't smoke any Fayyum Kake outside in the cold. It's too damn good and you'll never want to stop. Had my first bowl of it outside in the cold this weekend... yup, too good.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Your favorite tobacco, no matter what it is, will only be better in the snow.

My current favorite is Old Dark Fired. Just be sure to dress for the conditions.
(Cool picture, coalsmoke.)

bulldogbriar89

Oct 3, 2014
No snow yet here on Long Island, but it has been cold. I have been smoking McClelland's Craftsbury Frog Morton Cellar with extra McClellan Bulk 5110 for the extra Latakia, and right now I am drinking Home Made Hot Chocolate with Baileys Irish Cream

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
we had a light dusting here in the city of albuquerque yesterday morning. The mountains got hit pretty good. I enjoy a bowl of Kentucky Coins. I think its a newminister bulk blend that my local BM re named. Cant wait for some good, cold weather!

Status
Not open for further replies.