Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

supperthyme

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2019
Indeed. And we are but one step away from that here as well.

You're absolutely correct, we are one step away. Thankfully that step would be a difficult one for the opposing party to undertake.
The progressives haven't won just yet.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
The social engineering strategy on this side of the pond is a bit different because of our pesky "rights" ... much of it is being implemented through the corporate sector.

All manner of censorship is being allowed in the name of "private business rights" ... but only when it targets those who are not being protected politically.

supperthyme

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2019
The social engineering strategy on this side of the pond is a bit different because of our pesky "rights" ... much of it is being implemented through the corporate sector.

All manner of censorship is being allowed in the name of "private business rights" ... but only when it targets those who are not being protected politically.

That's a very good point! I hadn't thought about enforcement in the corporate sector, but you are absolutely correct.
I see this issue stemming mainly from academia and the demoralization of younger generations. The article you posted here mentions that millennials in particular favor "viewpoint-based censorship, suppression of "hurtful or offensive" speech in certain contexts, and legal penalties for wayward news organizations." Marxist ideology is being taught in every major school and has ingrained itself in our youth.

I'll spare you my theories about national destabilization via kgb ideological subversion haha, but you get the gist of it.

ron123

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
I’m pretty suspicious of this new crusade, on vaping, now. I haven’t seen any real science behind it other than that nicotine is addictive. So is coffee, but I’m not aware of any dangers in either. I don’t vape, so I’ve got no horse in this race...it just doesn’t pass the smell test for me, is all.

Reactions: Bowie
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I don't see how it affects pipe smokers in most places. How many B&Ms are left? While I think it is ridiculous to have a government interfere in life choices, I could care less if all these vape and head shots are closed. In most towns and cities, the only places you can smoke anyway are your home and private clubs.

Gotta Love a government where is okay to abort a human life but not buy pipe tobacco. Or dictate to a business owner they can't allow a legal substance to be used. Land of the free is a myth.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
"Pipe tobacco" and cigars are included in the definition of affected tobacco products. Curiously, however, the ordinance does not define "pipes" although it does define cigarettes and cigars.

If you hear about your local or state government "taking on vaping," read the proposed language of the law/ordinance. It could be broader than you think. Could a ban include ordering banned tobaccos online for delivery into the region? It's not beyond reason to see it happening.
that is always one of the fun things about laws. The innocent statutory bystanders. Though it's kind of evened out by loopholes. Like that supermarket that found a loophole to selling beer and wine.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
side note when you think people today are so reactive and restrictive, just look up the moral panics of yesteryear. I remember people thinking heavy metal was going to destroy society. Yes people were terrified about twisted sister. Imagine lossing sleep over Dee Snyder. Or thinking the queen is evil cause she used a fork (really). Hell people tried to ban the Lockhornes t.v. show (Married with Children) and the Simpsons. People have always been crazy.

Bowie

Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
Very well said! I'm glad that somebody is addressing this. ? I hate to use the slippery slope cliché, but I find it very applicable in this instance. A move to ban vaping could vary well restrict the sale of flavored pipe tobacco in the future and put us one step closer to living in a nanny state.
Thanks! I'm an attorney and actually enjoy reading laws and thinking the worst will happen. (I just got back to my laptop and can type real responses vs thumbing words on my phone and hitting "like".)

Bowie

Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
side note when you think people today are so reactive and restrictive, just look up the moral panics of yesteryear. I remember people thinking heavy metal was going to destroy society. Yes people were terrified about twisted sister. Imagine lossing sleep over Dee Snyder. Or thinking the queen is evil cause she used a fork (really). Hell people tried to ban the Lockhornes t.v. show (Married with Children) and the Simpsons. People have always been crazy.
Let's not forget the great Dungeons & Dragons scare of the early '80s. The game was turning us kids into devil worshiping necromancers.

supperthyme

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2019
Thanks! I'm an attorney and actually enjoy reading laws and thinking the worst will happen. (I just got back to my laptop and can type real responses vs thumbing words on my phone and hitting "like".)

Really? Well that's impressive. I look forward to reading more of your well-informed posts in the future. ? Thank you for bringing the Snowmass ban to everyone's attention. As a CO resident, this trend in legislation makes me extremely nervous.
As for the phone, I know what you mean. I've been making due on mobile for the past week and getting any real writing done on this thing is painful.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Oops, that should just read "dessert." The 66 came from the line number of the ordinance. My mistake. But that would make for a good name for tobacco, like "Mixture No. 79"
Funny how that combination works.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
My city has a ban on dogs in parks and up until a few years ago you could not go sleigh riding in a city park.

Worknman

Sep 23, 2019
Let's not forget the great Dungeons & Dragons scare of the early '80s. The game was turning us kids into devil worshiping necromancers.
I remember that! My grandma literally warned me about D&D after reading about it in a church pamphlet. Still didn't stop me from playing my chaotic evil elf wizard character ?

Reactions: Elric and Bowie
Status
Not open for further replies.