PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
I found this today when researching the backlash against vaping. I want to see how broadly the resulting proposed "flavored tobacco" bans across the country impact - if at all - pipe smoking. This one is not good for pipe smokers, although a quick search shows no nearby B&Ms affected:

The Snowmass Village (Colorado) Town Council passed the first reading of their "flavored tobacco" ban on November 4. It broadly sweeps in pipe tobacco. "Flavored tobacco" there are those with "Characterizing Flavors," which include but are not limited to "fruit, chocolate, vanilla, honey, candy, cocoa, 66 dessert, alcoholic beverage, menthol, mint, wintergreen, herb, spice."

"Pipe tobacco" and cigars are included in the definition of affected tobacco products. Curiously, however, the ordinance does not define "pipes" although it does define cigarettes and cigars.

If you hear about your local or state government "taking on vaping," read the proposed language of the law/ordinance. It could be broader than you think. Could a ban include ordering banned tobaccos online for delivery into the region? It's not beyond reason to see it happening.

Link to news article about the Snowmass vote.

Link to PDF text of proposed ordinance.

Reactions: supperthyme
My very small hometown back in the early 80's banned rock and roll, and the town's only music store, which sold organs and pianos to churches, moved outside the city limits so that it could continue to carry the small handful of rock albums that it had.

A side note, the whole county was dry, the largest region in the USA to remain dry... until just a few years ago. And, even now, people will stand out front of those stores and picket the sale of beer.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The concept is, I think, against tempting children. Children, in this scenario, will not belly up to a big bowl of a strong non-aromatic English blend but will smell the siren song of cherry or vanilla aromatics. Eventually, the young generation just won't be drawn into unhealthy habits and public health will be better. Vaping is the front line, then maybe nails, and perhaps cigars. Pipes get included or not, depending on whether the town council has ever heard of or seen a tobacco pipe.

Reactions: Bowie

Bowie

Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
Not likely, as a state has a tad more pull in getting the federally governed USPO to do this or that... a county or region just wouldn't have the pull to get the USPO to regulate themselves like that.
That's a good point. And it's quite easy (in most cases) to just drive to another city or county to shop.

Ultimately, laws like these in small towns are merely political posturing. They are almost unenforceable, especially since these outlawed flavors are also used in casings which are not listed on the tins. Like the rock and roll law... what the hell is rock and roll? How is it technically different from country?
My current town passed a law that everyone in city limits "has" to own an assault rifle. In talking to the mayor, he said that it was merely showing the citizens where he stands on guns. Ha ha, I've known him for 20 years and the piss ant doesn't even own a gun.

Reactions: Bowie and kurtbob

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
Snowmass Village is just following Aspen who has been pushing this for a while. The area is very "progressive" and wants to lead the state along with the likes of Boulder. Down valley, Basalt, Carbondale and Glenwood Springs are also following suit. I could say a lot more but we all know what would happen to this thread.

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
Holy shit Cosmic... I would love to visit that small town one day. Sounds like a very curious place. The idea of seeing someone picketing a store that's selling beer is so foreign to me, that I'd have to see it to believe it.

I trust what you're saying is true... it's just so hard to imagine.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
My very small hometown back in the early 80's banned rock and roll, and the town's only music store, which sold organs and pianos to churches, moved outside the city limits so that it could continue to carry the small handful of rock albums that it had.

A side note, the whole county was dry, the largest region in the USA to remain dry... until just a few years ago. And, even now, people will stand out front of those stores and picket the sale of beer.
So, it might be a while before the county allows the sale of marijuana.... (We had dinner last night with a couple from Denver, who were amused at how much pride their state took in being the first to legalize the sale of weed.)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Snowmass Village is just following Aspen who has been pushing this for a while. The area is very "progressive" and wants to lead the state along with the likes of Boulder. Down valley, Basalt, Carbondale and Glenwood Springs are also following suit. I could say a lot more but we all know what would happen to this thread.

Do they ban the sale of mint flavored grass?? :)

supperthyme

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2019
If you hear about your local or state government "taking on vaping," read the proposed language of the law/ordinance. It could be broader than you think.

Very well said! I'm glad that somebody is addressing this. ? I hate to use the slippery slope cliché, but I find it very applicable in this instance. A move to ban vaping could vary well restrict the sale of flavored pipe tobacco in the future and put us one step closer to living in a nanny state.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Ha, well you just have to take a look across the Atlantic at our English friends. Arrests are being made over Facebook posts and crude jokes.

Indeed. And we are but one step away from that here as well.

As someone once said (don't recall who at the moment):

"If you don't believe in freedom of expression for those you despise, you don't believe in it at all."

The First Amendment is unpopular…which is why we need the First Amendment.

Last edited:

WebsterDitty

Lurker
Nov 8, 2019
Michigan
The concept is, I think, against tempting children. Children, in this scenario, will not belly up to a big bowl of a strong non-aromatic English blend but will smell the siren song of cherry or vanilla aromatics. Eventually, the young generation just won't be drawn into unhealthy habits and public health will be better. Vaping is the front line, then maybe nails, and perhaps cigars. Pipes get included or not, depending on whether the town council has ever heard of or seen a tobacco pipe.
“...but will smell the siren song of cherry or vanilla aromatics”. Once flavored vaping is gone, could it be council members do not want to give those who vape an alternative fix of nicotine by unknowingly turning them to what most older generation enthusiasts enjoy and have fond memories of since childhood...tobacco pipe smoking (when grandpa smoked his pipe it smelled so good).

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.