PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
My first restoration- the first two pics are original condition- the other pics are after a little work. Negotiated hard in old San Juan- got it down to $35. A question on the nomenclature- with the underscore 2, I think it should be a 1952 Tanshell, but the first year for Tanshell was supposed to be 1953. Any ideas?

b6d93p.jpg
http://a63.tinypic.com/b6d93p.jpg

2wqfyx3.jpg

2mmhg0p.jpg

vzyjya.jpg

2jbw4l2.jpg

2nqglue.jpg

f38d5d.jpg

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
Looks gorgeous! And a great price too! The nomenclature around that era is not an exact science. Yours is almost surely a 1952, considering the patent number. I have a Dunhill Root Briar with patent number and a 4 in a circle with a date code of 9. The patent numbers were supposed to be out before the group numbers in a circle were in place. I'm pretty sure mine dates to 1949 but the stamps are a little conflicting. It is also stamped Dunhill over London, not Dunhill over Root Briar.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Major super-duper-doubleplus good score, Zack. Meaning to find it at ALL, never mind for $35 (that's obscene).
I have a 472 (LB) that "broke" John Loring's book regarding production date, so don't hang your hat on it. He's gone, but the info is a never ending work-in-progress.
Looks like 1952 is NOW the earliest Tanshell known. :D

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Thanks guys...I had the underlined 2 figured as a 1952, but couldn't figure out why it would be a year earlier than the first published date for Tanshell...I was surprised what nice shape it was in...

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Winner, winner, chicken cacciatore! ... Gorgeous pipe, fine find! I particularly like the LEGO box in the stuff under your work bench:

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
That's one hell of a find!! And for $35! NICE!!!

I was a diehard "shell" smoker for years, because I loved the blasts and looks, but I think my Tanshells are my best smokers to be honest. Enjoy that one.

I agree with the 1952 date. I think the first Tanshells were actually made in 1951.......

Here's an old reference FWIW....

Dunhill Tanshell

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
@ jpmcwjr
I just tried a new bulk uploader, but couldn't get the picture to display- how did you do that?

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Beefeater ftw! 8)
I've managed to pick up some Dunhill nomenclature knowledge through osmosis/exposure over the years, but never considered myself a Duke Street Irregular-caliber guy. That's the first time I've seen 1951 & 52 backstory. Muchacho gracioso! :D

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sounds like you negotiated it down to this absurdly low price. Bravo. Really handsome pipe. (Did they pay you the $35 to get you to accept it?) I paid more than that for my Dr. Grabow Royaltons.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Sounds like you negotiated it down to this absurdly low price
They were asking $58....They simply aren't big pipe collectors in the islands...I had to negotiate to what Greta thought was a good deal- about $35- if I had paid $58 for a dirty used pipe, she would have killed me...:)

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I'll second and thirds all the comments. Great pipe, great deal, and new knowledge to boot. Can you let Greta know that you got a sucker willing to pay $58 for that dirty pipe and then message me so that we can finalize things? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.