Snagged 4 Old Dunhills at a Flea Market. Need a Dunhill Restoration Guru!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhedge05

Lurker
Jan 8, 2018
Hey guys, I'm new here. I usually hang out in some other forums but I was directed here for some helpful information. That being said I was just wondering if there were any pipe restorers on the forum or any recommendations for a good place to send my dunhills in.
I snagged these 4 today for $50 while on vacation. Excuse the crappy hotel photos but I was excited!
pictures
Also if anyone has any info or good resources to learn all little about them I'd appreciate it. I was trying to date them and I got lost in patents and codes! It's a science all it's own. Thanks!
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization (please check Rule #9)

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Excellent score!!

Those are 1920's era pipes, worth much more than what you paid! :clap:

That last one is a rare shape too.

Here's a resource I use for dating them:

http://www.rdfield.com/Articles/A%20Dunhill%20Pipe%20Dating.htm
edit: Looks like a few of them may even be from the 'teens......... WOW!

P

pipebuddy

Looks like you need a miracle worker. Good luck with your quest. :wink:

jhedge05

Lurker
Jan 8, 2018
Thanks! That second link is pretty helpful. And Georged has been recommended to me a few times. I'll see if I can get ahold of him.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
$200.00 for the restores brings $5-$700.00 in sales (assuming you want to sell, and a rough guess in any event).

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
That panel pipe is sweet!
jay-roger.jpg

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Hi, Jhedge05 --
You have some interesting stuff there, for sure. :D
I'm swamped with work for a while, though, so as strongly as I feel the pull to work on it---which is VERY---I'm going to have to pass. My apologies. Too many people waiting on me as it is.
There's a guy in North Carolina (or is it VA?) who does stellar refurbs of pipes exactly like yours. His boardname here is Piffyr, but I don't think he comes around but once a week or so. Definitely worth tracking him down.
Regards,
George

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
:clap:
Dunhills in a flea mark?? All patented?
Despite the crack at the shank in the first pipe, which is fixable, you have these paneled patent and all.

A big congrats about your trophy!
I want to be in such a flea market to spend my vacation too. :mrgreen:

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Congratulations, that's an incredible score. Please keep us updated on the restoration process.

piffyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2015
Some guys just have all the luck don't they? Congrats, j! That's a drool-worthy quartet. They will clean up nicely.
There's a guy in North Carolina (or is it VA?) who does stellar refurbs of pipes exactly like yours. His boardname here is Piffyr, but I don't think he comes around but once a week or so. Definitely worth tracking him down.

Many thanks for the vote of confidence, George. I'm close enough to the VA/NC border that I'll accept either. I try to drop by the forum every few days, but I only have anything worthwhile to say about every week or so.

azpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2015
Hopefully whoever does the resto will post some pictures. These will be fun to follow.

jhedge05

Lurker
Jan 8, 2018
Thanks everyone! I'm in touch with a few guys for restoration. Once I'm home in a few days I'll narrow it down and get them on their way. I'll keep you all posted!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Can you let the cat out of the bag on the geographical location and the flea market? I don't think anyone is going to fly there on a jet, but it is interesting to see what regions offer. In N.C., tobacco pipes are rare a fleas and yard sales, antique shops, etc. Your find is the pipe dream of us all. The $12.50 estate Dunhill, dream on. Great find!

Status
Not open for further replies.