PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 29, 2013
I'm new to the forum and I've tried a bit of searching around for a review on the SMS pipes, specifically the lattice/smooth shape pipes, but I have yet to find anything. I have a portrait carved meerschaum by S. Yanik and I love the heck out of it. I've come to the point where I prefer my meerschaum over all of my imported briars. With that in mind, I'm looking for a good quality meerschaum that isn't just a desk pipe (the S. Yanik pipe that I have was $400). I've been looking at these specifically:

http://www.smspipes.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.viewProduct&productId=142&catId=82

http://www.smspipes.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.viewProduct&productId=1965&catId=19

http://www.smspipes.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.viewProduct&productId=2099&catId=81

Anybody have ideas of these pipes they would like to share? Or if could someone provide me with a link to a SMS Shape pipe review, that would be great as well.

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
I like the smooth bent Billiard the best. I have one from a different maker and on top of being a good smoker, I really enjoy the smoothness in my hand.

saint007

Dec 22, 2013
I have a couple carved by Ahmet Govem; claw/egg, smooth bent, floral. A couple of unsigned various shapes off ebay including a Sultan and Cavalier head. Two on order with meerschaumstore. com(MeerQueen). A custom Calabash with my team's logo and a smooth Calabash.

Oct 29, 2013
Wow! Those look great! Do you have any other suggestions of meerschaums? Meer Queen's are just a tad bit out of my price range.

saint007

Dec 22, 2013
For under $100. SMS is probably the way to go. Also, Google Ahmet Govem, he has a site and has a lot to choose from. I don't think meerschaumstore.com has much under $150.
Bahadir will correct me if I'm wrong on what meerschaumstore has available.

meerqueen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2012
Hi Saint,
as you said our golden and diamond series prices are between 149 US$ - 380 US$. but sometimes we make a big discounts for previous year pipes.
Regards,

Bahadir

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
What sort of tenon system does SMS use?
Mine has the push style. I have an SMS and a CAO. I think SMS smokes just dandy but isn't coloring as fast as the CAO. ymmv

rockford

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 4, 2013
Smoking my first bowl (prairie wind) in my just arrived today SMS Lee Van Cleef from Smokingpipes. Definitely a different experience, I will be picking up a few more!

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Thanks, for the responses.
I had an estate CAO meer I sold off because the bowl was just too big for my liking and didn't clench well. I've been looking at the various meerschaum sites and have been narrowing it down to IMP, SMS, Meerqueen, and of course Mr. Baki.
I really don't NEED a new pipe, but I would like to get a nice Meerschaum and experience it from the start instead of as an estate.

Status
Not open for further replies.