PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 5, 2014
Ohio
I'm looking for a smooth, mild, sweet, no-bite aromatic with a pleasant room note.

Here's the clincher...I like a bit of Latakia also!

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks-

dukeofwestwood63

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
SG Chocolate Flake is a favorite of mine for this description.
It's a dark Burley / Virginia with a "natural" tasting Cocoa flavor.

metarzan

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2012
Was gunna suggest Cellar as well... Sounds like you described it to a T.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I would have to agree with Frog Morton's Cellar. But I find it suits me in a Peterson system pipe best.

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
I think you have described MacBaren Plumcake, exactly. It is a rum cased aro with a touch of Latakia...one of my favorites when I put down my English blends and want something a bit sweeter (but not too sweet). I like Plumcake as is, but I have also enjoyed it mixed with Carter Hall or even Trout Stream.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
There's also Sillem's black

Extravagant is the right word to characterize this mixture. We have revolutionized the traditional old English art of blending. The main ingredient is the finest spicy smoky Latakia. By adding highly aromatic Black Cavendish, this blend becomes smoother. A small portion of Burley gives a slight toasted aroma, and a pinch of bright Virginia brings a subtle sweet note. Mellow, but yet full-bodied aromas of honey and fruit essences result in a unique flavor. This pipe tobacco will surely be a delight.
The Macbaren plumcake definitely.
There's a new higher quality Captain black out in tins that uses latakia as well. I believe Captain Bob's blend by C&D uses latakia, maybe Captain Bob will stop in here to describe it as he posts here.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
"I'm looking for a smooth, mild, sweet, no-bite aromatic with a pleasant room note.

Here's the clincher...I like a bit of Latakia also!"
What you're after is Pipeworks & Wilke No.5
It's tailor made for what you're asking for.

drrock

Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
1st choice:

Peretti Cuban Mixture - if you've never tried this blend, you have missed out on one of the most complex pipe tobacco blends I've tried in over 40 years of smoking a pipe.

2nd choice:

MacBaren Plumcake - while the Latakia is more of a condiment, it's addition makes this blend absolutely delicious!

redheadedsmoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2014
Iowa
+1 Frog Morton's Cellar and Sutliff's Man's Best Friend.
Also, Sutliff's Academy also is a decent Aro with some Latakia.

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
I have a tin of this coming next week. I'll smoke a few bowls and if it meets your requirements I'll post something.
E. Hoffman Company - Distinguished Gentleman

003-399-0003.jpg

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
You can't go wrong with any of the Frogs. I'd also add English Chocolate and Valle Crucis, which has a ginger flavoring along with the latakia. I also smoke C&D USS Mason which is a lat blend topped with brandy. For HGL fans C&D has Herman's Own, which I like better as it isn't as sweet s HGL.

Good luck with your search.

Status
Not open for further replies.