PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
smokingpipes has substantially beefed up its offering of sale pipes. Everytime I've looked in the past it's been only a half-dozen pipes, at least half of them off-brands, but now they have a much bigger selection of 50 pipes, pricy and cheap, including a stunning unsmoked Lee von Erck for $600.00 reduced from $1000.00, which to me is a more accurate price.
I much admire the operation as it seems they try very hard to get every procedure right.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Shit. That Von Erck is NICE!
The Rad on sale is nice, but spendy still. It is sad that the last 4-6 months has seen a $200 or so price jump on Rad Davis Pipes. I would like a couple more, but alas, it seems it is not to be.
Butera pipes have jumped $150 or so in the last 3 months too. that one is a bit more confusing, since they haven't been made in a long time.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Wow, the price jumps ($150 to 200) are about the top of what I pay for a pipe. A $600 pipe would be the gem of my collection - probably.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
When I was new I sed to drool over a smooth Don Carlos on a Swiss site that cost ~$300.00. Sticker shock, to be sure. Since then I've gotten used to pipe prices, but although the shock is gone, I'm not at a place where I'm going to spend that kind of money on a pipe. Though I love to look at pricy pipes and have looked enough to know what I like and why, and though smoking a good pipe is a pleasure that adds to the smoking experience of the tobacco, I feel much better keeping my money in my bank account.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Not to mention that many pipes in the $80 to $200 range smoke superbly and are well made. Great Savinelli, Stanley, Boswell, Briarworks and others smoke as well as pricier pipes. I'm taking the word of many who own upper-end pipes since I don't own any. However, the money doesn't stay in the bank for me. I spend it on tobaccos and single malt scotches.
Pax

mlb55

Lurker
Nov 15, 2016
There was an estate pipe at smokingpipes that I have had on my wish list for about 6 months, but I never pulled the trigger on it and no one else did either. It was only $60, so it wouldn't have been a big investment.
Then, yesterday, I saw it was on sale for $45, so I grabbed it. Of course, I had to buy at least $50 worth of tobacco to get the free shipping.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
It is sad that the last 4-6 months has seen a $200 or so price jump on Rad Davis Pipes.
If Rad knew his pipes would be so dear on the estate market he may have retired years earlier and just sold his old cast offs for a killing. likely not though, he made a conscious choice to keep his prices down.
I agree that SPC has pushed prices up and this maybe be why so many pieces are now on sale.
Not to mention that many pipes in the $80 to $200 range smoke superbly and are well made
No joke! I picked up a '35 Kaywoodie on etsy for $12 a few weeks back and it is a better smoker than my Tao. Now, the Tao is a stunning piece but pipes are simple things and spending more won't always get you more.
More often than not my best smoking pipes come from the "golden age". It seems, in large part, modern artisan carvers are "rediscovering" what was common practice in pipe making 70+ years ago.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
One of the reasons that SPC is my top choice.
Pretty much. I do not have a grudge against other retailers, but feel that there is an added benefit to what SPC offers through packaging, fast shipping, reliable listings and other quality-oriented attributes that one cannot find at big wholesalers.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
How many pipes can one smoke in a week?
If one takes a week of vacation, sleeps six hour per day and spends 20 minutes on each of 3 meals per day, then one may smoke 119 pipes at an average of one hour per smoke...... :puffy:
jay-roger.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.